VMware Cloud Community
JasonBurrell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmware-cmd.pl not case sensitive

I am trying to get the state of all virtual machines running on a host but it looks like vmware-cmd.pl on the Remote CLI does not understand case sensitive directories. For example I can do a vmware-cmd.pl -l and get this:

/vmfs/volumes/48dcf09b-1b6d5eab-70dd-001e0b5d9eec/HQLAB01/HQLAB01.vmx

/vmfs/volumes/48dcf09b-1b6d5eab-70dd-001e0b5d9eec/hqlab01/104/000104-R370-1.vmx

/vmfs/volumes/48dcf09b-1b6d5eab-70dd-001e0b5d9eec/hqlab01/105/000105-R370-2.vmx

/vmfs/volumes/48dcf09b-1b6d5eab-70dd-001e0b5d9eec/hqlab01/106/000106-R370I-1.vmx

When I try to get state of any machine with a lowercase hqlab01 i get this:

vmware-cmd.pl /vmfs/volumes/48dcf09b-1b6d5eab-70dd-001e0b5d9eec/hqlab01/104/000104-R370-1.vmx getstate

No virtual machine found

Upper case like this works fine:

vmware-cmd.pl /vmfs/volumes/48dcf09b-1b6d5eab-70dd-001e0b5d9eec/HQLAB01/HQLAB01.vmx getstate

getstate() = off

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
28 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

VMware VIMA is a vApp (virtual appliance) by VMware, it's an alternative to the Service Console most of us are used to and eventually will replace the Service Console and remove the management console into a VM. This is primarily useful in when managing and automating tasks on ESXi which does not have a supported console.

VIMA basically provides the default RCLI utilities along with VI Perl Toolkit and some neat features such as VI-Fastpass and vilogger which only comes with VMware VIMA.

For some high level information you can check out: http://engineering.ucsb.edu/~duonglt/vmware/#vmware_vima

It's a great tool and free download to help manage your ESX/ESXi host and virtual machines.

=========================================================================

--William

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

0 Kudos
sdelmas
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah... that's what I thought. As mentioned before... I need to run my stuff on a machine that has additional services running that is proprietary.

I suspect though that if the remote cli is the same on your vapp, that it would fail the same as my remote cli. My suspicion is that there is either a configuration issue or some other incompatibility. Do you want me to run some debug code to see why cmware-cmd.pl fails in my environment?

Thanks,

Sven

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Just make sure you're running the latest VI Perl Toolkit which is 1.6 which is the same version that's installed by default on the VIMA.

--William

0 Kudos
sdelmas
Contributor
Contributor

I donwloaded the rcli 2 days ago... so I am pretty sure it's current.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Are you using the RCLI for Windows or for Linux? The command itself should work on RCLI for Linux and I've demonstrated on VIMA as well. It could be a bug or known issue if you're running it on Windows. You can always open an SR to VMware to see if that is the case

--William

0 Kudos
sdelmas
Contributor
Contributor

Yes... the client is a Windows machine. I also noticed that there is no resxtop installed... is that intentional?

Thanks,

Sven

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

You can try to either post in the VI API forum, there are some engineers that might be able to help or you can create an SR w/VMware if you have a support contract.

In terms of rsxtop .. I don't recall if this is installed by default with RCLI, I know it's available in VIMA and that's what I use for management so I'm not 100% sure, you can probably check the release notes if this is part of the RCLI or part of VIMA only.

--William

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

It's in the Linux RCLI install / appliance but not in the Windows install.

0 Kudos
TiloVM
Contributor
Contributor

in case anybody stumble over this post due to the "No virtual machine found." check if your vm's are in a extra sub folder (like /dev/ or so) of the datastore or not. This appears to be a bug/known issue with extra subfolder as it's still not fix in the latest version as today (May 2011)

Cheers

0 Kudos