VMware Cloud Community
torontoguy
Contributor
Contributor

upgrading ESXi 3.5.0 build 82664 to most recent version

I have a ESXi installation that we use for our lab. It has about 10 VM we use for deployment and concept testing.

Im trying to upgrade to the latest build (i downloaded the CD) but am a little unclear about the upgrade procedure. Just boot off the CD and do an install?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
3sh
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have vcenter? (guessing not..)

0 Kudos
torontoguy
Contributor
Contributor

we do, but we are still running our production ESX environment under 3.0.2. I dont think that the version will work? am i wrong?

0 Kudos
3sh
Contributor
Contributor

mmm ya i'm not sure about 3.0.2... but i would think you should be able to utilize update manager?

0 Kudos
torontoguy
Contributor
Contributor

maybe you can point me in the right direction, im not sure where i would see the update manager

0 Kudos
3sh
Contributor
Contributor

let's see... i think it is under addons in viclient when connected to vcenter server? The you should have the option to install update manager there?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You'll want to run a custom install of the VI client (version 2.5) and select the VMware Infrastructure Update option. Once you have that installed, you'll see the option to start it in the VMware program group. See this page for more instructions on this - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Patch_3i_without_VC.php. The VI Update client will also be able to download the latest firmware from VMware's website. You don't have to download an ISO image.

0 Kudos
3sh
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Infrastructure Update messed up my upgrade on 2 R805 units. I had to restore from CD then use update manager in VC.

0 Kudos