VMware Cloud Community
bydemandchd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

unable to find supported device to write VMware esx server 3i image to.

Hi

I am fairly new to virtulization.

I downloaded: VMware ESX Server 3i U4 Installable Refresh Version 3.5 Update 4 | 153875 - 03/30/09 from the website and burnt it to a disc. upon booting from the disc and following the instructions in the installation guide I get the following error:

Installation Operation failed!

The installation operation has encoutered a fatal error!

unable to find supported device to write VMware esx server 3i image to.

The Following system inforamtion will assist the VMWare support forum with your problem. Please record the information before proceeding.

System Information

Manufacture: Aborted

Model: aborted

Service Tag: Aborted

BIOS Rev: SGP4510H.06A.0083.2008.0819.1026

0 Kudos
31 Replies
bydemandchd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you all of you with your help. I really appreciate your time and effort. I was able to successfully boot from the USB Drive.

But now I cannot configure the IP address of the network card. I have an Intel 82567LF-2 Gigabit Network Connection. I followed the common issues article. But the driver for this is not listed on the custom oem.tgz page. Could you please help?

0 Kudos
nsolop
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is your Nic on the HCL?

Saludos/Regards

Nicolas Solop

Buenos Aires, Argentina

-

Mi empresa

Mi perfil en LinkedIn

Grupo de Virtualizacion en español de Linkedin

-

0 Kudos
bydemandchd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am using an Intel DP45SG mother board

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Version 4, super-dooper, gonna see if this works on the legendary ML115 G5!

0 Kudos
nsolop
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It works, tryed myself with the Betas, release candidates and now the GA... Believe me it works on the ML115 Smiley Wink

Saludos/Regards

Nicolas Solop

Buenos Aires, Argentina

-

Mi empresa

Mi perfil en LinkedIn

-

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

excellent..., any pointers on how to use the update zip?

0 Kudos
bydemandchd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guys,

Could you please tell me what you are talking about? I am running an Intel Quad core Q 6600 on a DP45SG.

0 Kudos
nsolop
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As I understand you have managed to install the esxi right? but now you don't have access to the network. Do you have the model of the nics that you have at the mother board? it is important to know that in order to figure out if it is supported or not by VMware products!

Sorry about he ML115 thing!

Saludos/Regards

Nicolas Solop

Buenos Aires, Argentina

-

Mi empresa

Mi perfil en LinkedIn

-

0 Kudos
bydemandchd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sure, the model for the nic is "Intel 82567LF-2 Gigabit Network Connection".

0 Kudos
nsolop
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, just checked and seems that your nic is not supported by any VMware product. Take a look at this: [http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?action=search&deviceCategory=io&productId=1&advancedORbasic=advanced&maxDisplayRows=50&key=82567LF-2+&release[]=-1&datePosted=-1&partnerId[]=-1&ioTypeId[]=-1&manufacturer[]=-1&chipset[]=-1&firmware[]=-1&nports[]=-1&vid=&did=&svid=&ssid=&rorre=0]

Saludos/Regards

Nicolas Solop

Buenos Aires, Argentina

-

Mi empresa

Mi perfil en LinkedIn

-

0 Kudos
bydemandchd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I disabled my internal NIC and tried a couple of other NICs and one of them was compatible. The system works on my machine now. But for cases where your NIC drivers are not available with the ESX server, what is the way around for this issue. Thank you all very much for your help.

0 Kudos
nsolop
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VMware is very specific about the hardware you can use to run VMware ESX (now vSphere) products. The best way to get around this is to check the HCL before buying the hardware in order to get sure that every single component of your new server(s) are supported.

As far as I know there is no way to install new drivers on VMware Enterprise products and I think that if you find a way to VMware won't support it.

Hope this helps!

Saludos/Regards

Nicolas Solop

Buenos Aires, Argentina

-

Mi empresa

Mi perfil en LinkedIn

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding points-----