VMware Cloud Community
edberg
Contributor
Contributor

unable to download vi client from ESX3i server...

Hi !

I have installer ESX3i server and iam unable to download the client.

when i point a browser to the server iam presented with a webpage whith a link to the vi client located on the server but when i click the lin i firefox the page reloads or something and i ie 6 the hourglass comes up and nothin else happens...

Any idea ?

or where can i download the vi client ?

Kind Regards

Patrik Edberg

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KellyOlivier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried another browser? I have even used Chrome to download mine. Maybe its waiting for you to click ok on the ssl name mismatch somehow? There is nowhere else to get the vic. This should be an easy fix though. Try another browser.

0 Kudos
edberg
Contributor
Contributor

okey,

no luck with google chrome, firefox and ie6 ....

any other suggestions ?

0 Kudos
Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

pa.dlinkddns.com if you want however normaly this is a indicator of other possible problems

0 Kudos
edberg
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks !

your link worked... now i just have som small issues with storage but i can probobly work them out Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Just to add if you are not getting the VI client to get downloaded you can see at this location from console of ESXi if the package is installed there or not.

/locker/packages/3.5.0/client

Thanks,

Samir

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
MartinHorton
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem - I even called VMWare about the problem with no satisfaction. However, I think I have found the problem.

Since this was a test setup after installation of ESXi I didn't set a password for root. I was unable to download the client from the server, However, after I set the password, the client downloaded just fine.

Here is my assement of what happens. After installation and before a password is set anyone could connect to the server and download the client and thus control the server. By denying the download of the client, VMWare is ensuring only the person with physical access to the server can control it. So I assume this is a securiy measure. However, it would be nice if instead of just returning a 404 the server said something like "Request denied - no root password set yet"

Anyway, I hope this helps people - this issue was driving me crazy.

0 Kudos