VMware Cloud Community
bsdnazz
Contributor
Contributor

svmotion.pl fails with 'The procedure entry point xmlCtxtGetLastError could not be located in the dynamic link library libxml2.dll'

I've just tried to run svmotion.pl on a Windows Vista box on which I have previously run it without a problem and am encountering this problem.

Since I last ran svmotion.pl the Vista box has been updated with things like Vista SP2. I also have a full patched up (well, Microsoft patches) Windows XP box

on which I'm getting the same error.

I've tried uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling the remote CLI but I still get the error.

The VI environment is 3.5U2 and I'm using the 3.5Us remote CLI, version 104314.

Thoughts?

Guy Dawson
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Check to see that you don't have multiple versions of libxml2.dll. Do a search on your drives and try moving, copying. I believe you should have one in the system32 directory. It may be older or newer than the one required.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
bsdnazz
Contributor
Contributor

I've found two versions of libxml2.dll on my PC

one in c:\windows\system32 that is dated 14 Sep 2005 at 12:37

one in the remote cli \perl\bin subdirectory that is dated 12 Jul 2008 at 20:42

It's the newer one that's needed.

To get the program to run (and just produce the help text) I had to add the perl\bin

directory to the PATH environment variable and copy the newer libxml2.dll into the

c:\windows\system32 directory.

I think I must be missing a step in the remote cli install process as this seems an

odd thing to have to do by hand!

Guy Dawson

Guy Dawson
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

That isn't totally unusual. A normal install of perl should have added perl to the path but this isn't a normal install. The next that should happen is a manifest file to pick up the locally installed copy of the dll rather than the system32 dll.Or the installer should have added the new dll to the system32 directory.

Is it possible that you installed without administrator rights or as administrator?

0 Kudos
bsdnazz
Contributor
Contributor

As it turns out the perl directory is added to the path but it takes a reboot to put it into effect.

The path was needed so that other libs (zlib1.dll was the first to be complained about) can be found. I

still need to copy the newer libxml2.dll into c:\windows\system32

I've still not got to the bottom of this as it used to work fine on the Vista box.

Guy Dawson

Guy Dawson
0 Kudos
bsdnazz
Contributor
Contributor

However, now I'm getting an error about not finding ordinal 182 in SSLEA32.DLL!

There are different versions in C:\windows\system32 and the Remote CLI perl\bin directories.

Ho hum!

Guy Dawson

Guy Dawson
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I remember needing to move dlls. It might be worth considering the RCLI appliance. Or at least a machine dedicated to RCLI.

0 Kudos