Expert

svmotion, huh?

Okay, here's the setup of my VM:

vm.vmx (8GB) (600GB)

disk1.vmdk (8GB) (600GB)

disk2.vmdk (230GB) (250GB)

disk3.vmdk (230GB) (250GB)

disk4.vmdk (230GB) (250GB)

So, not bad, pretty straightforward. I thought so until I saw the vm.vmx and disk1.vmdk sitting on a 600GB datastore all by itself. Hmm, well, I want to move the vm.vmx and disk1.vmdk files to a new datastore and leave the others untouched. The new datastore is 150GB with 127GB free, should be more than enough, right? Well, according to svmotion, it is not. is svmotion looking at all the disks? I can shut this VM down in a month and do this, but what good is svmotion if it can't handle this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I assume you are running 'svmotion --interactive', in which case you did say 'yes' when asked to individually place the disks didn't you? I also assume that there is sufficient free space in Datastore1 to store the snapshot disk for disk1?

Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

Yes, running svmotion.pl --interactive, and I did say yes to move only the disk1.vmdk

here is the output:

Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at C:/Program Files/VM

ware/VMware VI Remote CLI/Perl/lib/VMware/VICommon.pm line 1502, <STDIN> line 7.

Received an error from the server: Insufficient disk space on datastore 'Datastore12'.

Datastore12 is the new 150GB datastore. Also, there is 580GB free on Datastore1.

0 Kudos