VMware Cloud Community
sasar
Contributor
Contributor

suspended VM - can not power on

Hi,

situation is following:

I have put VM (Win Enterprise 2003 64-bit) in a suspend state. I did this because I couldn't migrate it to other host because of the error "Unable to migrate from host02 to host01: Host CPU is incompatible with

the virtual machine's requirements at CPUID level 0x80000001 register

'edx'...etc....etc..............".

After that I moved that two hosts in newly made cluster on which I have enabled EVC. Host are IBM x3850M2 / x3950M2. Then I moved VM to one of the hosts but when I try to power it on I receive error which you can see in attachement.

I tried follwing: remove VM from inventory and added it to each host - still can not start it.

Removed it from inventory and added it to host on IBM blade HS20 - also can not start it.

So I now have VM in suspend state and I can not power on it, shut down it or change CPUID mask....

0 Kudos
8 Replies
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

Enable VT (virtualization technology) ,in the system bios,then only you will able to poweron 64 bit vm.

@m!t

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
sasar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

VT is enabled on all my hosts, that what I did first when I installed them 1 year ago....

I have several 64-bit VMs that are working for long time, only this one is making problems now.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know what processors we are talking about but you can't move a paused machine between Intel and AMD processors. You must shut them down before the move. I don't know whether this extends to differences within a manufacturers processor technology i.e moving between a dual socket server to a 4 socket server. Or Intel 5400 series an 5500 series but . . .

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
sasar
Contributor
Contributor

Problem is that I can not shut down VM, it is hung at suspend state Smiley Happy

I have 2 IBM x3850M2 and 2 x3950M2 servers with Intel Xeon X7350 (quad core) and X7460 (six core) CPUs.

IBM blades have Intel Xeon also.

In attachement you can see bios settings and test with vmware CPU Identification Utility.

So now its problem to power on vm, i removed it from inventory and added it to all hosts I have (even IBM blades), but I can not edit settings or power on it...

0 Kudos
sasar
Contributor
Contributor

Strange thing is that all IBM x3850/3950 show that hyperthreading is inactive....

0 Kudos
Tanav
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

as you have enabled the virtualization feature in Bios. i request to enable the data execution in Bios itself. it will remove the CPU incompatible error.

thanks

Tanav

0 Kudos
sasar
Contributor
Contributor

sorry but i didn't quite understand you?

I have enabled data execution in Bios, you can see in screenshots above...

0 Kudos