VMware Cloud Community
BPMalan
Contributor
Contributor

starting out with ESXi 4

folks just starting out with VMware. I've downloaded and installed ESXi 4.0 update 1 and installed that on a DELL PE r300. set the IP to static. I've downloaded and installed the vSphere client onto my PC. so from what i can see i'm ready to get my feet went on building some VMs.

what I'm looking to do is firstly convert some existing XP/Vista/Windows 7 PCs to virtual machines more as a proof of concept for my boss, then I'm looking to convert our server which are running Windows 2000 SBS (don't laugh), Windows Server 2003 standard SR2 with Blackberry Enterprise server and a second 2003 SR2 with SQL 2000 on it.

so what do i need to do to begin converting these over? do i need to split up the harddrive on my server (think that's called the host right?) of can i just convert the physical machines and copy them over the lan and power them up.

any help would be great

alan

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jkumhar75
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you know about the vmware converter?,

This tool you can use for converting your physical machine to virtual machine and then you can power off your physical machine and power on the VM from the vsphere.

Jay

MCSE,VCP 310,VCP 410

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Jayprakash VCP3,VCP4,MCSE 2003 http://kb.vmware.com/
BPMalan
Contributor
Contributor

nice one thanks I've downloaded that and it's converting now. much appreciated

0 Kudos
BPMalan
Contributor
Contributor

that was exactly what i needed thanks

0 Kudos