VMware Cloud Community
dark__
Contributor
Contributor

setup firewall on vm

first of all please dont bit my head of for being noob.

im trying to setup a software firewall (monowall) i have quad pci-e broadcom nic on esxi box. installed esxi and 2 vm 1 xp 1 monowall. i'm in the web gui of the monowall from the xp vm.

what im trying to do (see pic) picture says 1k words they say so thought better to illustrate what im trying to do. the cabel modem is turned on but im not getting an ip from it, when conected to nic1 (wan) and nic0 is geting the default ip from the monowall 192.168.1.1. not sure if i have done something wrong here? under netowork in esxi i have created 2 pnic connected to 2 vswitch and allocated monowall on both of them under installaction of monowall it finds them as lnc0 and lnc1 gave 0 as lan 1 as wan. connected the xp vm to vswitch that is connected to lan (lnc0). what more do i need to do to get internett wroking on vm aswell as other pc and game console in the house all going trough the firewall? thanks for all help i can get, been at it for 5 days now without getting anywhere.

4334_4334.GIF

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

First of all the things I have seen that people are trying to do to test different things, this has to be on of the more creative ways to figure something out. So as far as 'newb' goes, you obviously have some knowledge, and you just need some help to get this working under ESX. So I have to commend you for attempting such a setup.

It appears you are trying to create a makeshift proxy server to connect to your cable modem.

The first thing is you created 2 Virtual Switches, you should put both VM's on the SAME vSwitch, that may help you diagnose the issues easier. I think that would go a long way to help you sort this out...

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert

I have exactly the same setup in my test lab at work, and it works perfectly.

Have you tried swapping the vnics (or pnics)?

Maybe what you think is nic0 is actually nic1 for Monowall.

0 Kudos
dark__
Contributor
Contributor

yo thanks for the complement,

i have now added the vm to both vswitch, as u have said. ok the lan is getting ip but the wan is still not getting dhcp ip from cabel modem but it is getting 169.254.x.x is that not what windows gives out when dhcp is not found? i think now the problem is my setup in monowall, need help to confure monowall to let wan get dhcp and allow internett access from lan port. but how do i do this?

0 Kudos