VMware Cloud Community
gcalpacket
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

seperate VMDK for c & d drive

ESX 3.5 newbeee Smiley Happy here..

Currently we have a file server Win 2K3 std edition running on ESX 3.5 host.As of now the C drive is 12 Gb and D drive is 470Gb.Now the single VMDK filesize is reaching 500Gb+ size.

I have been told that its better to create separate vmdk's for your c and d drive for purposes of data recovarability in case of a failure.

So now I am  trying to create a new VM-Win2k3 Std Edition VM with a C: and a 😧 drive on sepaerte VMDk files.How do I go about doing this?

I dont see that as an option int the vm creationg wizard.

Can these two VMDk files be on same datastore or should they be on different datastore?

Any help much apprciated

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

When creating . . on the final screne check the 'edit virtual machine settings before completion' checkbox.

when you click finish it will open the VM 'Edit Settings' screen. simply add a hard disk here.

each 'Hard Disk' will be a seperate vmdk

One day I will virtualise myself . . .

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

When creating . . on the final screne check the 'edit virtual machine settings before completion' checkbox.

when you click finish it will open the VM 'Edit Settings' screen. simply add a hard disk here.

each 'Hard Disk' will be a seperate vmdk

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

when you create you guest, you can add disk, create a new virtual disk, confirm size--location--Specify a datastore--browse

bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Also, if you have already bui;lt the vm and want to add a drive, simply right click the VM and select 'Edit settings' - then add a hard disk.

you will need to then open up Disk Manager in Windows to add it (right click my computer - Manage) or Start -> Run - > compmgmt.msc

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

...i'll add one more point too.  You should align the new disk if W2k3, prior to the format.

>create partition primary align=64

0 Kudos
gcalpacket
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks  Troy Clavell & bulletprooffo… for your quick answers..Smiley Happy..I will assign the point shortlySmiley Happy

I managed to createa new VM and assign different ent VMDK files for different drives by following your suggestions.

But i got a question:-

i)When I go Edit Virtual Machine settings-->Add-->Hard disk-->Create new virtual disk-->Capacity-->Node -->Finish.But it doesnt allow me to choose the names for VMDK files.

Becasue of which I ended getting below files for my " test01 "VM
test01.vmx
test01.vmxf
test01.vmsd
test01.vmdk(Virtual machine file)

test01_1.vmdk (Harddisk file for D drive)(would prefer to name this file Drive_D.vmdk)

test01_2.vmdk (Harddisk file for E drive ) (would prefer to name this file Drive_E.vmdk)

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you   like you can rename the virtual disks via the command line using

vmkfstools -E <old_name> <new_name> (the -E is case sensitive!)

After renaming the virtual disks you will have to re-attach them with the new names to your VM in the VM's settings. You can also edit the vmx file and then remove/add the VM from/to the inventory. Make sure you use the above command only for disks with no snapshots!

If you don't want to use the command line, you could create a new VM named "Drive_D"/"Drive_E", move the virtual disk to the other VM's folder in the datastore browser and then delete the remaining files for the "Drive_D"/"Drive_E" VM.

One thing you have to keep in mind though. If you are going to migrate or sVMotion the VM, the names will get changed back to the default nameing.

André

bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

you could rename them using the Datastore browser if you like, or something like WinSCP (or FastSCP)

If your VM loses connectivity to the disk, you'll have to update the references.

there are 2 ways to do this.

1. Open the .vmx file and update the paths

2. Use 'edit settings' to remove the existing disks, then re-add them from the data store again (still using the 'editsettings' - add hard drive wizard)

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

@bulletprooffo...

That will not work. You cannot rename a virtual disk in the datastore browser. (Try it, you will receive an error message Smiley Wink )

If you rename the files using e.g. WinSCP/FastSCP, you will also have to manually update the reference to the new flat vmdk name in the header vmdk file.

André

0 Kudos
gcalpacket
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

bulletprooffo…

André

Troy Clavell

Thanks alot for all the helpful answers !!!!!.Smiley Happy

I have assigned your desrved points :)..well done guys..thanks a ton...

Andre,you method worked for me to rename the vmdk files :)..thank you..i used the command line..

Bulletproff,I couldnt work out how to change the names via datastore so i gave up Smiley Sad..

0 Kudos