VMware Cloud Community
goldmercury
Contributor
Contributor

rolling back to physical, domain issues

I converted a couple of servers to virtual for testing. However I am now rolling back to using the physical, however there seems to be issues with domain settings with the old physical machines. I've had to remove then add one of the servers in AD. The other is a DC, so I can't do this,whats the quick fix if there is one?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anders_Gregerse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As long as you migrate the DC offline (P2V or V2P), you are safe. They must under no circumstance be online at the same time. DC's have internal counters and you cannot just power on a virtualized dc, power it off and the power on the physical without major problems. The fastest way is to make a new DC, and demote the old one afterwards.

Others servers might have change their Computer account password after they were virtualized and if you power on the old physical server there might be a need to rejoin the domain because of mismatching passwords. There are also tools that can do this.

goldmercury
Contributor
Contributor

I converted the DC to virtual, powered down the physical then powered up the virtual. The virtual has been running for a month. So in essence offline transfer was done.

I did not migrate the DC. I'm now in the situation where I need the physical back online. What steps should i carry out to do this? Unfortunatley I do not have the resources to create a new DC. I must use the existing physical (old) DC as there are other services running on it.

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you need your physical online for use as a DC you are in a bit of a fix. What you might have to do is rbing the Physical DC up isolated from the network. Do a dcpromo /forceremove. Once that is complete rename the system and give it access to the Domain network. Join domain and dcpromo physical system. Transfer FSMO roles. Once everything looks good demote the VM and then you can get rid of it.

0 Kudos