VMware Cloud Community
azfar
Contributor
Contributor

req: ESXi information!

I have few question regarding ESXi.

1. What are the maximum number of processors and amount of memory support in ESXi.

2. Where do I get ESXi HCL?

3. Can I install ESXi on non supported hardware? (by providing drivers manualy)

4 If yes then whre do I get drivers for it (I mean does linux drivers work for it)

5. Can I integrate infrastructure with ESXi? just like ESX.

6. Does thirdparty backup and other tools which are designed for ESX also worked with ESXi?

If I am missing any important thing then please let me know as well.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jose_maria_gonz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi Azfar,

Check this out:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1006543&sl...

The article provides a detailed comparison of VMware ESX and VMware ESXi. The article is separated in to capabilities or features

rgds,

J

-

El Blog de Virtualizacion en Español

josemariagonzalez.es

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

1) 32 cores from -

2) Here is the HCL -

3) You can - there are a number of discussions on this forum aout whitebox devices and how to get them to work

4) Check this thread out as an example of 3) http://communities.vmware.com/message/627605#627605

5) Yes youcan - ESX and ESXi at the core have the same cirtualization platform - the major difference is ESX has the service console and ESXi does not - you use the same VI CLient to access both and with the approriate licenses you can manage both with virtual center

6) Yes they do for the most part - those that require the use of the Service Console will not work with ESXi

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpfule -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I have few question regarding ESXi.

1. What are the maximum number of processors and amount of memory support in ESXi.

Host - 32 logical processors (experimental support for 64)

256Gb of System RAM

Guests 4vCPU and upto 64Gb of System RAM

2. Where do I get ESXi HCL?

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/resources/

3. Can I install ESXi on non supported hardware? (by providing drivers manualy)

Maybe have a mosey on down to www.vm-help.com

4 If yes then whre do I get drivers for it (I mean does linux drivers work for it)

you can't and under no circumstance attempt to install Linux drivers, ESX is not Linux.

5. Can I integrate infrastructure with ESXi? just like ESX.

Not with the Free version you need to put your hand in your pocket and buy a license.

6. Does thirdparty backup and other tools which are designed for ESX also worked with ESXi?

Posibally, Visioncore and PHD have backup tools that work with ESXi

If I am missing any important thing then please let me know as well.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
azfar
Contributor
Contributor

Does this applicable to esxi also

and by 32 logical processor you mean 32 cores, so I guess it should support atleast 8 physical processors(quad core), right?

And to use vmware infrastrucure I also need to buy ESXi license, so at that time can I upgrade to standard ESX easily?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Does this applicable to esxi also

Yes, ESX and ESXi share the same common code set, the only real differences are that ESXi uses a busybox Service console (ie very light) and ESX uses a Redhat Enterprise one.

and by 32 logical processor you mean 32 cores, so I guess it should support atleast 8 physical processors(quad core), right?

That is correct. 8 x 4 = 32 or if you are rich enough 16 x 4 = 64 if you activate the experimental support Smiley Happy

And to use vmware infrastrucure I also need to buy ESXi license, so at that time can I upgrade to standard ESX easily?

that is correct.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
azfar
Contributor
Contributor

last thing does symantec backup exec 12.5 support esxi?

and what does embedded mean, does it mean that it comes pre-installed on other then hard disk or some thing else?

0 Kudos