VMware Cloud Community
dcordina
Contributor
Contributor

re-installing vmware

If I re-install vmware esx3.5i will I loose all the data in the data storage?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

You will have an option to either preserve the VMFS volume or re-create it, if you have VM(s) that live on the VMFS volume, then you'll probably want to preserve it unless you want to start from scratch.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

From the install CD a new install will wipe everything but a repair will preserve your VMFS partitions.

0 Kudos
kcollo
Contributor
Contributor

Is the VMFS datastore local to the server or on a NAS/SAN?

0 Kudos
tlindi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Easy solution if you have separated "OS" (esxi installation partitions" and "DATA" (VMFS partitions for VMs) devices: Disconnect "DATA" devices and re-install ESXi. Then reconnect devices and open datastore browser with VIClient . Goto folder of you VM(s) and right client on vmx-file and select "Add to inventory".

T:omi

0 Kudos
dcordina
Contributor
Contributor

the data store is on the embedded raid of the sever. To say it all I installed a test esx and I want to replace it with esxi.

0 Kudos
satish_lx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If your data storage1 is local then you loss you data and if its remote VMFSthen dont worried about it. ESXi will take care of that and ask you before doing anything.

- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Thanks

Satish Patel

• Journey toward "Virtual world"

- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Thanks Satish Patel - Journey toward "Virtual world"
0 Kudos