VMware Cloud Community
bdh13579
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

rdiff-backup in esxi 4

I have seen other posts where users have created a statically built rsync executable and used it as a daemon in esxi. Is there any way to do the same thing with rdiff-backup? Thanks in advance for any help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The more you try to run inside the limited ESXi space the more unstable your ESXi host can become. There are many ways to make clones of your VM's. Have a look at ghettoVCB script in these forums. Consider using rdiff-backup inside the VM's themselves. Break up large drives into smaller more manageable chunks and treat the data differently based on it's importance. Treat OS partitions differently than data partitions.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The more you try to run inside the limited ESXi space the more unstable your ESXi host can become. There are many ways to make clones of your VM's. Have a look at ghettoVCB script in these forums. Consider using rdiff-backup inside the VM's themselves. Break up large drives into smaller more manageable chunks and treat the data differently based on it's importance. Treat OS partitions differently than data partitions.

0 Kudos
bdh13579
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I understand, but I am looking for a guest independent solution. I would like to power down the VM, copy any changes to each of the VM's files to a backup target, and then power on the VM again. ghettoVCB using an NFS share as a target is a great backup tool. An rsync daemon works very well in ESXi 4 to quickly transfer the files. The problem is that all of these tools capture full snapshots of all of the data, not incremental changes to a base set of files (like rdiff-backup). I would like to run an rdiff-backup daemon in ESXi as a more efficient option to backup the VM files. I have already successfully run an rsync daemon in ESXi with no problem and pretty decent speeds (not quite as fast as FTP though). Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can try to build a static binary from a Linux box... at your risk Smiley Wink

For example this is for rsync build:

http://wiki.neddix.com/How_to_make_a_statically_linked_Rsync_Binary

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
bdh13579
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, that is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I will try that.

0 Kudos
bdh13579
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I thought I would post what I ended up doing after a lot of experimentation. I never could figure out how to statically compile rdiff-backup and I ended up agreeing with what DSTAVERT said about not running additional software in ESXi (rsync or FTP daemon). I now just use the ftpput command included in busybox to upload the files to an FTP server. I can then run whatever software I want on the server (i.e. rdiff-backup). This provides a way to achieve fast transfer speeds (40+ MB/s on a gigabit network with 2 7.2K RPM SATA hard drives in raid 1) without adding extra software to the ESXi box. Thanks for the replies I received.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Look into NFS storage. Add the NFS as a datastore and use the ghettovcb or just copy the vmdks between datastores.

0 Kudos
bdh13579
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I already tried that. I used a decently powered windows machine as an NFS server and I didn't get speeds any faster than scp (4-5 MB/s). The only way I have found in ESXi to transfer files quickly is an rsync daemon (because it doesn't have to rely on slow SSH), an FTP daemon (extremely fast transfer speeds: 40+ MB/s), or ftpput to an external FTP server (40+ MB/s).

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Windows is a terrible NFS datastore. Also ghettoVCB does not use SSH. I can get 100MB/s and more with a good LINUX or OPEN-E NFS server.

0 Kudos
kpc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

may be worth checking out running a linux based NFS server, I get great speeds, can schedule cronjobs easily etc. Ghetto works a treat...

0 Kudos