VMware Cloud Community
MrXInc
Contributor
Contributor

"VMware ESXi Management Kit" need to make sure vCenter Converter Server/Update manager included

I previously setup a vCenter infrastructure, and loved its capabilities, but the cost is too high for my current location.

Now that this Bundle is available, and half price till April 30th, I would like to take advantage of it, but need to confirm that the "

vCenter Server Foundation" in this bundle is exactly the same as the full "Foundation" version. I assume this is just a crippled version for use with 3 ESXi hosts only.

I called Sales, but they couldnt tell me what was really included with the package, and seeing theres no Trial version, I cannot personally try it out.

Any users here who purchased this and can confirm the above questions.

thanks

x

http://store.vmware.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=vm...

"VMware ESXi Management Kit—Limited Time Offer Now Available

This new offer from VMware® is ideal for small companies that have

installed the ESXi hypervisor and are ready to deploy an easy,

cost-effective management tool to simplify infrastructure operations.

Now you can manage your servers running ESXi from a central interface, enabling you to:

Instantly provision new virtual machines with wizard-driven processes and templates.

Monitor and control all your servers and virtual machines from a single view or "dashboard".

Automate operations through task scheduling and alerting to help improve IT responsiveness.

What's Included?

vCenter Server Foundation

vCenter Agents for 3 hosts (limited for use with 3 hosts)

1 year software subscription

At $495, this virtualization kit is ideal for small companies looking to manage multiple ESXi servers.

This offer is valid through April 30, 2009. See the terms and

conditions, purchase online or contact 1-800-865-2590 for a VMware

sales representative."

0 Kudos
27 Replies
TheTechie
Contributor
Contributor

Did you guys ever figure this out? I'm looking at ESXi Management Kit as well but want to make sure it supports snapshots, templates, etc. that is standard with vCenter. If not then we'll have to go with standard VI Foundation.

Also do you know if the ESXi license covers the VMware ESXi supports SNMP when licensed to a VI Foundation mentioned here: .

Thanks.

0 Kudos
trg1
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings! I have to admit that I'm very interested in this management kit. I'm as interested as The techie if it does support:

1) snapshots, templates, etc. that are standard with vCenter.

2) SNMP

3) I'd also like to know if it handles patching for the ESXi software (when installed on disc, not USB).

I appreciate any insight that anyone chooses to offer!

Thanks - Joe

0 Kudos
MrXInc
Contributor
Contributor

With the new release of vSphere, and its inclusion of VBC, this still might be a good offer, with the 1 year maintenance support and upgrades. Time is running out on this offer, anyone else have comments on if this is worth the purchase price for vSphere and vCenter Foundation. I just bought Veeam Backup at 1/2 price, so with the inclusion of the built-in backup and restore application, I wonder if I should have waited and got this instead.

0 Kudos
wingtip
Contributor
Contributor

snapshots? Yes as long as you don't license your ESXi servers from the Vcenter server - keep your free ESXi standalone license

Templates? Yes

SNMP? Yes

Patching? not sure, haven't tried this, perhaps someone else can answer this one. I'm going to say "no" for now.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I'd say no on patching as well as it does not include an update manager license. You can still update your hosts with the VI client - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Patch_3i_without_VC.php.

0 Kudos
NPEREI
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone got any offical responce? I am looking at using the patches for the guest os also.

0 Kudos
far182
Contributor
Contributor

I am one of the people that bought this.

Yes it does patching. Both of ESX and the Windows Guests.

0 Kudos
wingtip
Contributor
Contributor

It does do patching? Where?? I can't find it.

0 Kudos