VMware Cloud Community
rwar
Contributor
Contributor

"A general system error occurred: Internal error" when powering on a VM

Anyone have seen this error before when trying to power on a VM in ESX 3i? I can create as much VMs I want, but no one can be powered on.

What points should I check before to start a new installation? Other machines with 3i are ok.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Have you looked at the ESX server log for any clues as to the reason your getting the error?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. You might want to check the Configuration \ Licensing to make sure the host has picked up a valid license. Also press ALT-F12 at the console, power up the VM and see if any helpful errors are displayed at the console.

0 Kudos
rwar
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately I have not found any clue in the logs... Smiley Sad

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JRink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had this happen recently after powering down a VM (properly). It wouldn't start back up and had the same error. I ended up having the kill the hostd process and restart the mgmt-vmware service. Afterwards, the VM was able to be powered on again. Not really sure what hiccuped or caused the problem.

JR

rwar
Contributor
Contributor

The license is the evaluation one, and remains 57 days to finish. I did not read the whole license agreement but I presume I can test all the software, including power on a VM and install an OS in it before license expires.

I did reinstall ESX and could power on the VM, but now there is another error message. It something like object not found or something (I'm at home now, tomorrow I can send some pictures). VI Client just can not connect the VM to some ISO to install the OS. It is another issue I must solve.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and your help.

0 Kudos
rwar
Contributor
Contributor

I am not an expert in ESX/Linux yet JRink. I do not know exactly how to configure/install some stuff. But I will look for how to stop kill and/or processes and try what you did.

Thanks.

0 Kudos