VMware Cloud Community
kernowsoul
Contributor
Contributor

problem adding IP's to VM

I have an ESXi 4 server with a centos VM running cPanel. I wanted to add some additional IP addresses to use in cPanel, I've added these addresses but only 2 of the additional IP addresses work from outside of the server. I've contacted cPanel and they have said there is no problem with cPanel. My data centre has added the IP addresses directly in ESXi and verified they are working so there should be no network issues. I was wondering if there was some kind of problem with the interface between ESXi and the vm but I'm new to ESXi so I don't know how to test this. Any help should be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jamie

0 Kudos
6 Replies
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

Are the IP's in the correct subnet for that NIC?

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

My data centre has added the IP addresses directly in ESXi and verified they are working so there should be no network issues. I was wondering if there was some kind of problem with the interface between ESXi and the vm but I'm new to ESXi so I don't know how to test this.

The IP has been removed from the ESXi?

If yes, the problem must be at guest level, cause ESX/ESXi vSwith act as a normal bridge between networks.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
kernowsoul
Contributor
Contributor

All of the IP's are on the same subnet for this server and I've double checked they are setup correctly.

0 Kudos
kernowsoul
Contributor
Contributor

Yes the IP's have been removerd from ESXi. Inside the CPanel VM I can ping all the IP's so it thinks they are setup correctly. From ESXi or any external server I can sucessfully ping two of the additional IP's but the rest are unresponsive. I've disabled the firewall to make sure this is not blocking traffic also. I'm at a bit of a loss as to why this is happening.

0 Kudos
mmathurakani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

how are you trying to add the additional IPs to the vm?

are u adding them on to the same virtual nic?Note that the maximum number of virtual nics possible for a VM is only 4

0 Kudos
mmathurakani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also if possible give me the following info :

ESX vmkernel port:

IP address

subnet mask

default gateway

Linux VM:

IP addresses

subnet masks