VMware Cloud Community
cab3
Contributor
Contributor

oem.tgz and esx4i

I downloaded the ESX4i release today, hoping to install it on my home system, much like I've done with ESX3i in the past. I'll freely admit that my hardware is in the "unsupported" class, but previously I'd been provided instructions on how to modify the oem.tgz and the various appropriate changes to the VMware-VMVisor... files and then being able to install to my SATA drives in my ESX box. I've been running successfully in this manner for many months, but now want to upgrade the version to the 4i and I'm being met with a totally different image layout, and an apparent lack of the oem.tgz file. It also seems that the /binmod.tgz is gone as well, so where does the new structure live?

So, how do we go about making modifications to support our "not so standard but totally workable" hardware?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Unfortunately, this is not as easy as it seems.

For now, until someone publishes these workaround, you could always just use VM Server and host vSphere on that?

It will be a while before someone provides workaround for all the hardwaer types . . the tendency is now to get people to use 'white box' hardware . . . and go from there.

If you do figure it out . . please publish for the rest of us.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
cab3
Contributor
Contributor

So, I figured out how to do this, and as requested, I'll try to provide a synopsis of what I did.

First, to explain my configuration and what I was trying to accomplish. I have an ASUS M2V HDMI motherboard, which has 4 onboard SATA ports, and a 4 core AMD Phenom CPU, and 8GB of RAM. I did put an Intel GBE card in it when I had it running ESXi 3.5, since the onboard RealTek was an impossibility.

Enter ESX4i. I wanted to do the upgrade, and found that the entire layout of the install image had changed from what I knew in 3.5i. Gone was the oem.tgz and all things familiar, so I set off trying to figure this all out. I found a few pages that were VERY helpful.

I began by reading the ESX4i version of "Customizing your ESXi install with oem.tgz" that was posted here. (Thanks Dave!)

This was the foundation for what I then undertook. I started by grabbing one of the pre-existing oem.tgz files referenced in the above link (I started with the 3Ware RAID controller '3ware.esxi4.oem.tgz' file). I then followed this process to create a bootable USB with the ESX4i ISO on it. I started with a FAT16 1GB USB drive, and followed steps 1-3 verbatim. For step 4, I had to modify the isolinux.cfg to add the oem.tgz after the ienviron.tgz and before image.tgz entries (not sure if another order would have worked, but this seemed to jive with the order that had been used in 3.5i, and it worked the first time, so I didn't tempt fate!). I then subsequently copied the modified 'isolinux.cfg' to the 'syslinux.cfg'. Step 5 was as documented. For step 6, I substituted "dd if=mbr.bin of=/dev/sdc"rather than using 'cat', as I'd had better success with that when I did the same thing for ESX3.5i. Step 7 needed to be tweaked, at least for me. I had to specify the partition number when running syslinux (i.e. "syslinux /dev/sdc1"), otherwise you'd get a "syslinux: this doesn't look like a valid FAT filesystem" error.

The next step is to modify the oem.tgz file to suit your needs. In my case, I had to remove some other items that had been referenced in the basline oem.tgz I used, as my hardware IDs were in conflict. I extracted the oem.tgz file, and modified the 'simple.map' file to add my bits ("1002:438c 0000:0000 storage ahci.o"). I then modified the 'pci.ids', removing a conflicting entry that was already there, and replacing with what had worked in 3.5i ("438c ATI Technologies Inc Class 0101"). I then removed the various object (.o) files that I didn't need for my use, and recreated the oem.tgz file. I then copied this oem.tgz to the root of my USB drive.

The final step that I took was to rebuild the image.tgz file, to include the necessary oem.tgz into it. This process works flawlessly, and I followed it pretty closely, simply replacing the oem.tgz file inside the .dd file with the one I created just above. I then rebuilt the image.tgz file, and copied it over the one on the USB key.

I shut down all my VM's that were running on the 3.5i server, and then booted the USB key, and installed. Be aware, if you have any datastores on your target boot disk, those will get zapped, but luckily I only had ISO's on that datastore, and they were easily copied back to the system. After installation, ESX4i discovered my existing datastore where my VM's lived, and even handled the striped configuration I'd set up just fine. I then had to connect to the ESX4i system using the vSphere Client, browse the VM datastore, and then "add to inventory" all of the .VMX files that I cared about.

So, I'm pleased to say that I answered my own question, with a bit of work and leveraging resources I'd found for the 3.5i install, where I had to do similarly. Public thanks to Dave Mishchenko and Cameron for the reference material I was able to leverage!

I sincerely hope that this process will be beneficial to someone, besides me. It wasn't as hard as I feared, and allowed me to upgrade pretty easily. I'm also attaching my resulting oem.tgz file (with the above entries in it), as well as the isolinux.cfg file that I used.

0 Kudos
Masternono
Contributor
Contributor

hi !

i trying to install ESX4.0 on my Z600 but it doesn't work.

i would like if my process is correct :

first, i created my usb stick bootable with syslinux and i copied all contents from CD to my usb key.

then, i extracted the dd file and i added the tg3 drivers for my network card to the root.

then, i rebuilt the bz2 image and the tgz image.

I finished by adding my tgz image to usb stick

unlucky, same error message ! Failed to load lvmdriver..

should i modify the oem file ? simple.map or pci.ids

what's the good method ?

thanks

0 Kudos
PhilTrujillo
Contributor
Contributor

We have an HP envy 15 which supports 4 harddrives, 16gb ddr3 ram and has an i7 quad proc. Yes that is in a notebook!

The problem is it has an Atheros NIC which is not supported natively so installation fails. The driver though does exist on a site mentioned in an earlier post in an oem.tgz. Or better yet just locate or create an install that supports everything? I do see them out there for ESX but no one seems to have bothered with ESXi.

Can you or someone simply create a bootable atheros NIC ESXi install iso and throw it up on Rapidshare or Megaupload?

I would be willing to pay $50 to any takers if it works.

PM me if interested

0 Kudos
DonChino
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Damn you PhilTrujillo!!! :smileydevil:

I was building out an HP XW8200 when I read your post on the Envy 15 and I never considered upgrading my Envy 15 to be an ESXi 4.0 Server, since I was about to invest in the XW8200 but when I tried to run the ESXi 4.0 thumb drive I got the adapter problem you mentioned. So it seems the HP Envy 15 is INDEED capable of running ESXi 4.0 but the problem is the NIC.

So who has a solution? Where is this driver? Hell, I will try to do it if I know where to look because now I am thinking I can retire my Dell 830, which DOES run ESXi 4.0 but it is capped at 8GB while the Envy 15 can go up to 16GB. Imagine, with the DUAL SSD drives? Man, I can have my own development server on the side of my desk so who can help us?

I will add another 50$ unless I figure it out because then I will charge 100$ a pop... :smileydevil:

So any hints/ideas? People will run to get Envy 15s for their development centers after this... :smileylaugh:

0 Kudos
Sirius42
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I'm interested in some charges Smiley Happy

Could you please provide info from another Linux:

lspci -v

lspci -n

What driver you are interested?

I have to know id and full HW name for pciid xml file.

Best regards,

Igor

0 Kudos
Daniel_Perez
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I just wanted to say thanks for your post. it worked with an nvidia 8200 chipset with the attached oem.tgz (original source: )

motherboard: Gigabyte m85m

followed the steps from :

The missing keypoint in the original post was to modify the SYSlinux.cfg to include the oem.tgz in the boot process.

hope this helps to somebody Smiley Happy

Message was edited by: Moderator to remove the oem.tgz file since it may contain drivers licensed by 3rd parties.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would post the drivers on the vm-help.com site and post a link to them.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DonChino
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just thought I'd pop back here and find out if anyone got ESXi to run on an Envy 15? :smileydevil:

I have not, but I did get ESXi 4.1 running on an HP 6550b which is the PRO series laptop although my Envy 15 is still sitting there, so I was hoping to make some use of it.

The 6550b is an i5 CPU and has the docking station with 8GB but obviously not as cool as the Envy 15 so any chance someone got ESXi working on this bad boy? As long as ESXi 4.0 or above then fine with me...

Smiley Wink

0 Kudos