VMware Cloud Community
m4biz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

new ESXi Installation - Second issue

As sayed in my precedent post I've converted a working, physical, Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller in a VM on a new ESXi U4 server.

All seems works fine but when I've connected the working, physical, Windows XP SP3 client, joined to the Windows Server 2003 DC physical machine to the new, coverted, VM (obviously with the old physical DC machine shutted down) was impossible to contatct the "new" domain controller due to a "session authentication error" logged on every client machine and on the DC.

After many hours without results I've decided to remove all the clients from the domain, and than re-join the same clients computer to the same domain and domain controller.

At this point all works fine.

I don't know if this is a question related to ESXi server VM's or to Windows Server 2003.

In the past I've performed the same procedure on virtual machine on VMware server without this, time consuming, problem.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Ing. Cosimo MERCURO

Mercuro for Business

Ing. Cosimo Mercuro http://cosimomercuro.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
5 Replies
runclear
Expert
Expert

from reading your posts, it sounds like you only have one DC.... Mark this down as "3rd Step: Deploy & Configure 2nd Domain Controller" Smiley Happy

-

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would also spend some time getting comfortable with ESXi before rushing to production. Webex sessions is worth going through.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
m4biz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The second DC is for high availabilty and business continuity purpose.

My question was why this strange behaviour?

Thanks for your reply

Cosimo

Ing. Cosimo Mercuro http://cosimomercuro.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
JDavidson02
Contributor
Contributor

Since this is a DC you'll want to be sure that you are either synching the time with the host or turning that feature off and using Windows Time, but not both.

Thanks,

Jason D.

0 Kudos
JDavidson02
Contributor
Contributor

One other thing to keep in mind is that it it higly recommended that you do NOT convert a DC.  Domain controllers are very transactional based and if there is any issue with tranactions that are out of sync that could cause issues as you discribed.  As others posted, you really should have a second DC setup so maybe bring the original DC back up, build a new VM and dcpromo it to bring it into the domain.  Then bring up a another new VM and promote that to a DC, then demote your original physical.

Thanks,

Jason D.

0 Kudos