VMware Cloud Community
rakem
Contributor
Contributor

need to run vm-support utility

Hi everyone,

Our ESX servers are running 3i, 3.5.0, 70348.

I need to run the vm-support utility to get some log file. However there is no command link on this version of VMWare.

Is there a way i can run these type of tools still?

thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

If you use the vi client and connect to vc or the host. Click on the host in question, then go to File --> Export --> Export Diagnostic Data.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

As an alternative, at the console of the ESXi host do the following

1) press ALT-F1

2) type in unsupported and hit enter. You won't see any text feedback as you type this command

3) you'll be prompted for the root login

4) run vm-support and it'll create the support bundle in /var/tmp and you can then copy that to another location. Using the VI client is much easier Smiley Happy.

0 Kudos
rakem
Contributor
Contributor

how do i copy the file out of the var/tmp file to my windows desktop? Don't you need samba to copy to windows from the linux cli?

I need to email it to a support guy, he is saying that the diagnostic data i exported from the VC is not what he needs. Will the vm-support script have any more details?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Get WinSCP - it is freeware and gives you a GUI interface to move files into and out of your ESX environment -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
rakem
Contributor
Contributor

thats for the quick response.

I keep getting 'access denied' errors when i try to use winSCP. Im using the root account. I know the password is correct as i can use the same account to log into the console. What port / protocol should i use in winSCP?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

WinSCP uses SSH to commect by default amd by default logging in as root is blocked - you can use a regular user (it can be created by pointing the VI Client at your ESX host and logging in as root or using the adduser command from the CLI) or you can enable root login by following the below:

To change the default SSH configuration

1 Log in to the service console and acquire root privileges.

2 Change directories by entering cd /etc/ssh at the command prompt.

3 Use a text editor to perform any or all of following actions, as appropriate.

To allow remote root login, change the setting to yes in the following line in the sshd_config file:

PermitRootLogin no

Save your changes and close the file.

5 Execute the following command to restart the SSHD service:

service sshd restart

*After you do this you will be able to login using SCP

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Not sure if the vm-support is going to give you more info or not.

If you're in the /tmp folder, run cp . You can then browse the datastore with the VI client and copy down the file to your PC. ESX 3i does not include the ability to connect with SSH, but you could scp the file from the 3i host to a server that is running SSH.

0 Kudos
rakem
Contributor
Contributor

how do i get out of this command line screen??

i type exit and it exits the command line but i need to get back to the main screen...

any ideas??

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

ALT-F2 - will get you to the login screen.

0 Kudos
rakem
Contributor
Contributor

thank you.

0 Kudos
Siddiqui
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you

0 Kudos