VMware Cloud Community
avallk
Contributor
Contributor

migrate from intel to amd host

We are migrating our older esx hosted machines from Intel processor based hardware to AMD. The migration seems to go just fine, however, on power up, we are getting dcom errors and no network connectivity. Is this common? Hoping there is an easy fix.

Thanks

Ken

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I regularly move between the two processors. The machines must power down first however. Have you updated tools?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
avallk
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I updated the tools and powered down the guest. On the AMD host, I get errors. If I move it back to the intel host, everything is fine. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Your hardware is on the HCL??

0 Kudos
avallk
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. HP DL365 G2 attached to NX4 for the destination host. Origination machine is HP ML370 G4 local disk and NX4.

The only thing that is different, which I wouldn't think would be a problem is that the origination machine is not up to the latest patches, while the destination is.

Ken

0 Kudos
avallk
Contributor
Contributor

I see the following in the system event log. Only on the AMD hardware.

Event Type: Information

Event Source: DCOM

Event Category: None

Event ID: 10026

Date: 7/6/2009

Time: 5:24:17 PM

User: N/A

Computer: PELIASVC-SAI

Description:

The COM sub system is suppressing duplicate event log entries for a duration of 86400 seconds. The suppression timeout can be controlled by a REG_DWORD value named SuppressDuplicateDuration under the following registry key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Ole\EventLog.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at .

0 Kudos
avallk
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to move the server, albeit not in the fashion that I wanted. I booted the VM with a coldclone iso and cloned it to the AMD hardware. In doing it this way, i receive no errors in the OS and all seems fine.

It is not the best solution, but it works. If anyone else has ideas, I am open for suggestion. I will probably open a ticket with VMware. And will post the solution, if any they supply me with.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Are you able to move it back to the Intel machine?

0 Kudos
avallk
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I can move it back to the intel machine. Everything works happily there.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Were the machines P2V to the Intel machine? Perhaps some leftover hardware drivers?

0 Kudos
avallk
Contributor
Contributor

No.. this was built in a VM. vmware is suggesting reinstalling the tools, but this didn't help.

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I just noticed something - ESXi tools includes two network drivers,

• "VMware PCI Ethernet Adapter" - vmxnet.inf, and

• "VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter" - vmware-nic.inf

Might be worth manually removing the intel driver (I presume the first one) and then redetecting the hardware, which presumably will find the AMD driver?

0 Kudos
avallk
Contributor
Contributor

Good idea J1mbo. But, alas, this did not resolve the problem either.

0 Kudos