VMware Cloud Community
fredlock
Contributor
Contributor

ls -l using rcli command ??

I like to know how i can get a long listing of files using rcli command....

so far i can only use :

vifs.pl --server servername --username root --password xxxxxxxx --dir foldername

This does list the files but not their sizes etc.

I know I can also browse datastore contents and host files using a web browser by connecting to http://ESX3ihost_IP_Address/folder where it does list file sizes

0 Kudos
1 Reply
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

vifs.pl by default will just do a standard listing, you will not be able to see hidden files. If you're looking to get fileSize, fileType and modification you'll need to write a new script using the VI API and specifically creating a HostDatastoreBrowserSearchSpec to search the Datastore of interest.

Here is a small snippet of code from another script that shows this in action, you'll need to create a FileQueryFlags specifying what attributes you would like to view and then specifying the Datastore path and passing in the searchSpec which could also include pattern matching.

#capture VM dir contents w/delta files
my $browser = Vim::get_view (mo_ref => $ds->browser);
my $ds_path = "";

my $file_query = FileQueryFlags->new(fileSize => 1,fileType => 0,modification => 1);

my $searchSpec = HostDatastoreBrowserSearchSpec->new(details => $file_query,matchPattern => );
my $search_res = $browser->SearchDatastoreSubFolders(datastorePath => $ds_path,searchSpec => $searchSpec);

if ($search_res) {
	foreach my $result (@$search_res) {
		my $files = $result->file;
		if ($files) {
				foreach my $file (@$files) {
				if($file->path =~ /-delta.vmdk/ ) {
					my ($vm_snapshot_date,$vm_snapshot_time) = split('T',$file->modification);
					#my $todays_date =`date +\%Y-\%m-\%d`;
					my $todays_date = giveMeDate('YMD');
					chomp($todays_date);
					my $diff = days_between($vm_snapshot_date, $todays_date);
					my $snap_time = $vm_snapshot_date." ".$vm_snapshot_time;
					setSnapColor($diff,$result->folderPath,$file->path,$file->fileSize,$snap_time);	
				}
				}
		}
	}
}

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos