VMware Cloud Community
sobrog
Contributor
Contributor

lost datstore1 after disk controller went down

Hi, I have a bit of a problem with my datastore1 not showing up in VMware Infrastructure client storage tab any more and all VMs stored in datstore1 is unknown 1-10 (inaccessible).

This happened after the raid controller on my power-edge 2970 failed, it detected 1 of 6 disks.

What the Dell support technician told me to do was to rip out all the disks and boot the server without any disks and then put them back in again and let the raid controller rediscover them after a firmware upgrade and sata driver upgrade.

And sure enough, all the disks came back and all was well until i started the infrastructure client and discovered that half of my machienes were (inaccessible).

Half of the machines is stored on a SAN so they show up fine, but the half that was stored locally on datastore1 is all unknown (inacessible).

When i press add storage datastore1 is there, but when I go forward I get a little warning saying that if i continue it will destroy the data partitioning so I do not dare go forward unless it's my last resort.

Has anyone had similar experiance?

Is there any way I can get my VM's back online or at least access the VM's so I can backup and redploy them later?

Regards,

Roger S

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sobrog
Contributor
Contributor

I found this one http://communities.vmware.com/thread/247293.

It solved my problem.

0 Kudos