VMware Cloud Community
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

kill no responding VM in ESXi

in ESX, sometimes when VM no responding, i can use ps x command in COS to find it's PID then kill it.

in ESXi, there's no console, can i do the same thing?

-

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.

---- Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I havent' seen an equivalent in the RCLI. You can enable SSH (http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/ESXi_enable_SSH.php) but it's officially unsupported. That said, if you called VMware support and they tried to kill it, they would most likely use the console for ESXi.

dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

after some explore, i find "ps a|grep mks" can find the pid of vm, i test a kill, and it works. but i'm not very sure, hope more people give me confidence.

-

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.

---- Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
0 Kudos
champi0n
Contributor
Contributor

I keep getting an error:

msg.hbacommon.corruptredo:The RedoLog of {VM.NAME}-000001.vmdkhas been detected to be corrupt. The virtual machine needs to be powered on. If the problem still persists, you need to discard the redolog

Which when i pressed "OK" it kept coming back and back over and over. I was unable to power on, shut down, reboot or do anything to the VM.

This sucks because I JUST finished putting my management interface behind a firewall appliance. (And if that went down, i'd be screwed 6 ways from sunday). Wouldn't be able to access anything without a KVM over ip.

But just to confirm:

#ps a | grep kms
#kill -9 PID

Works perfect to get it in a "powered down" state. Now all i gotta do is find out how to"discard" the redolog.

0 Kudos
csimwong
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.

I'm getting the same error on one of my VMs:

msg.hbacommon.corruptredo:The RedoLog of {VM.NAME}-000001.vmdkhas been detected to be corrupt.

Did you ever figure out how to resolve it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos