VMware Cloud Community
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

iscsi initiator at the ESX level

Hey Guys,

I am having a tough time trying to imagine if the software iscsi initiators for vmware esx is a bunch of installable software that I need to download, or is it a bunch of settings I need to set the vmnic to.

Please assist. If I need to download and install them on the esx host, can you guide me as to where I can find them.

Also we run a esx 3.5i free version, I don't see that would be an issue with installing or loading iscsi initiators, or would it?

Thanks,

RJ

Please award points if you find my answers helpful Thanks RJ Visit www.rjapproves.com
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Under Storage Adapters in the configuration pane, you should see an iSCSI SoftwareAdapter. Click on it and then click properties. This should get you pointed in the right direction. Under the security profile, you will need to enable the iSCSI client as well. Otherwise it will be blocked by the firewall.

Let me know if you need more help.

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Under Storage Adapters in the configuration pane, you should see an iSCSI SoftwareAdapter. Click on it and then click properties. This should get you pointed in the right direction. Under the security profile, you will need to enable the iSCSI client as well. Otherwise it will be blocked by the firewall.

Let me know if you need more help.

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think I might have figured it out but need your advice to be sure.

This is wha I did.

Next I clicked on properties,

Next I clicked on configure button to enable it.

Clicked ok, and I am assuming when I connect the iscsi SAN and carve a lun, this should pick it up by the scan.

Am I right to think of it so? Please advice.

Also should I or not enable chap authentication? The san might be connected directly to the esx.

Thanks

RJ

Please award points if you find my answers helpful Thanks RJ Visit www.rjapproves.com
0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

Moved to ESXi 3.5 forum.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, Virtualization Practice Analyst[/url]
Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing the Virtual Environment'[/url]
Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]
[url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blog_Roll]SearchVMware Pro[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|Top Virtualization Security Links[/url]|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You are on the right track. You also need to enter the SAN IP into the Dynamic discovery tab.

Also ensure that you are allowing the iSCSI client in the security profile.

After this is done and the volume is set up, a rescan should pick up the volume. You can then go to the storage tab and add storage.

I always use CHAP auth but every environment is different. It is not required to use iSCSI.

Charles Killmer, VCP

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have a look at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1008083

Also have a look at http://www.vmware.com/resources/techresources/1006

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot chuck.

Also , I have seen many seperate management from regaular nic traffic, as in assign it another switch vmkernel and seperate nic(i am guessing each new switch needs new nic). Why is that, its not like management takes up lot of bandwidth, plus I use 3.5i, how important is it to do that?

Thanks

RJ

May be we all live virtual lives..

0 Kudos
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I hate it when vmware comes up with a tutorial which talks about ssh'ing into the service console. I don't get it why they have to emphasize so much on it while they want to move away from service consoles and into esxi no console vmware.

Since I run esxi, i feel i am loosing precious knowledge by not having 3.5 with console.

What you think?

Thanks

RJ

0 Kudos
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It is a best practice to seperate the management from the VM network traffic. Not that important in a test lab. But in production, I don't want to run any risk of a management task causing a client visible impact. Things like VMotion and iSCSI traffic should stay away from the VM network. Those can be heavy on the network. Conversly, if a VM saturates the network with some traffic, I don't want to lose management connectivity to my hosts.

Seperate them with seperate physical NICs. Most often this is done with seperate vSwitches as well.

Charles Killmer, VCP

0 Kudos
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply Chuck,

When you say "seperate them with seperate physical nics" - I would then connect with a different ip to the management network (may be local) while the vms have whatever public ips

Right??

Thanks

RJ

0 Kudos
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Correct. We have them seperated with different switches as well. Management goes through one switch into one vSwitch on one subnet. Thevm's use a different switch with a different vSwitch and a different subnet.

Charles Killmer, VCP

0 Kudos