VMware Cloud Community
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

insufficient system resources when access a Network Drive located in a iSCSI SAN from inside a VM!!!!

Hello guys,

I have some random problem when i try to access a network drive mapped inside the VM. When i go to my computer and double click the network drive i got this message insufficient system resources, then i have to wait a littler to get access, this happen after i migrate all the Data to the new HP MSA 2012i iSCSI SAN, before that, when the data was in the files server never happen.

Any idea?

Thanks

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You should really try to describe things in more detail. Host platform, Number of hosts, number of VMs etc.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

ok, we have 4 Host HP DL380 G5 QC 3.00 GHz 64 GB Ram running ESXi 3.5 u4, each host have 3 Terminal Server (2 vCPU 4GB Ram 50 GB vHDD), we also have an iSCSI SAN with two LUN 1 for Data and the other for SQL. The Data LUN's are mapped to each Terminal Server with the Home Folder and the Company Share Folder, the profiles are in other server. Every time that a user try to access my document or the company shared folder that both are in the iSCSI SAN there is a error "insufficient system resources", if you wait a litter and try again then you can access the files. I think is some kind of delay but it is suppose to be faster on the iSCSI SAN.

Any help will be appreciate

Thanks.

0 Kudos
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

See the pic below. We i try to access the share folder network drive i got the error. In the pic there is no error is just to get the idea.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The iSCSI SAN is accessed directly from the Virtual machine using the VM initiator?

0 Kudos
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

No, The network drive are attach to a physical Windows File Server

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Every time that a user try to access my document or the company shared folder that both are in the iSCSI SAN there is a error "insufficient system resources", if you wait a litter and try again then you can access the files.

What AntiVirus are you running in your Guest? Perhaps that's causing the temporary problem you see?

0 Kudos
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

Symantec Endpoint Protection

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

No, The network drive are attach to a physical Windows File Server

I am confused here. The iSCSI SAN is connected as a datastore using the ESXi host iSCSI initiator?

0 Kudos
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, i try to explain. The iSCSI SAN is connect to a physical File Server. There is a script that automatically map the Share Folder and the Home Folder every-time that a user logging to the system. They use RDP to connect to the Cluster (we run Terminal Server). The Host's only have the Virtual Terminal Servers (3 each one) . No iSCSI initiator is enable in the VMware Host.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

OK. Have a look at the vmware.log files in the VM folder. See if there is any indication of issues. Anything within event viewer at the time of the problem. How long is the "unavalability". Just trying to stimulate thinking here.

0 Kudos
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So this is like:

- User connects from a Workstation to his Terminal Server (which is a VM with W2K3 in ESX 3.5)

- while logging in TS, the login scripts issues some "net use x to fileserver" (which is a phyiscal server with Windows? and a iSCSI-SAN behind)

- User tries to connect its network drive and gets an error.

Is there a Domain? Physical? Virtual?

What kind of networks?

What kind of Inititiator on the fileserver? Software? Hardware?

0 Kudos
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

We have a 2 Physical Domain, the file server use software initiator to communicate with the iSCSI SAN.

0 Kudos
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Same behaviour, if the share lies on the fileserver itself?

Latency on the iSCSI-Network (same Subnet?)?

Are the shares on the Terminalserver (showing) "disconnected"?

0 Kudos
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your follow up.

Yesterday i called HP again and after they checked the log again they said that need to replace the Controller A, so they send an HP Tech with the new controller and replaced it. Now i am follow up the SAN and so far there are no fail email from the SAN but still the users have delay when access the Shared Folder. When the Data was in the File Server was no delay, it start when we move the data to the SAN. The SAN and the server are in the same subnet. No, the Terminal Server not showing disconnected network drive.

BTW The HP Tech give me some tips: They recommend Cat 6 for the SAN over Cat 5e, and to assign a fix speed on the switch to 1 Gigabit not auto.

Well, i'll keep post some info about the performance.

0 Kudos