VMware Cloud Community
gow75
Contributor
Contributor

install vmware server

I just need some help installing vmware server. I have this older server that still works. it is a P4 hp Gen 3 ML310 server. it works perfect. I only want to use it for testing purposes. i thought it would be cool to use esx server to install multiple OS's on the same server like win 2008, linux and i have sun solaris as well. just to fiddle around with them can this be done.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the forums.

You can download trial/free versions of the software here. ESX and/or ESXi may or may not work on that older HP. It is definitely not listed on the VMware HCL, but the best bet is to download the software and give it a try.

Once you get the download started, head over to the VMware Documentation site to get started. The documentation is excellent, and will provide you with everything you need to get started. If not, come back here and ask away.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You might also consider Webcast QuickStart and Webcast ESXi Webstart to help you get started. One problem with older servers is justifying the price of extra RAM. You will need to have a minimum of 2GB for a very few small VMs. I don't think you can install 2008 with less than 2GB so count on having at least 4GB.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
gow75
Contributor
Contributor

I have 4 gig in it.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You should be OK.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
gow75
Contributor
Contributor

ok i got it installed how do i install an os to it now.

0 Kudos