VMware Cloud Community
clabrown
Contributor
Contributor

iSCSI virtual network configuration confusion

As a learning exercise I'm playing with a EXS 3i 3.5.0 server and trying to connect it to an iSCSI server that I've setup using OpenFiler. The OpenFiler server is providing both SMB or Windows shares as well as iSCSI. I'd like to connect the iSCSI to the VMWare Host for additional storage but I'm running into a problem of not being able to create a second VMKernel Port for the iSCSI in the same subnet as the existing VMKernel Port.

If I create the second VMKernel port in a different subnet, then I assume that I'll have to move the OpenFiler server to that subnet so that the iSCSI can connect to it. However if I do that then none of the virtual machines which are all in the original subnet or any of the other Physical machines that are also in that subnet will be able to connect to the OpenFiler box for the iSCSI or the other shares on it since it will be in a different subnet.

Perhaps (probably) I'm missing something basic here.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

Why don't you use the vmkernel port you already have for iSCSI connection?

Another solution could be to create a dedicated network for your storage. Connect your Openfiler to it. Create a new vswitch, a console port, a vmkernel port and attach your iSCSI LUNs with it. If some VMs need to access the filer, create a virtual machine port group and add the VMs a second virtual card attached to it.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos