VMware Cloud Community
Tanav
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

how much space occupy by snapshot.

hi,

i have one VM having 30 gb space. if i take snapshot then how much space consumed by this snapshot.

what does delta.vmdk mean and for what purpose its being used by VM.

thanks

Dhiraj

0 Kudos
3 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The snapshot will grow in increments of 16mb - however the size of the snapshot will depend on the amount of changes you make after the snapshot has been taken.

All changes are written to the delta file when a snapshot is taken....... this provides a means of roll back if need be.

0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

Hi

The initial size of the "snapshot" (.DELTA ) is 16 mb. Then every change made to the vmdk is written to this .Delta file

So the delta file is a change file. If you do alot of changes to your server the delta file can grow very fast.

When you delete a snapshot the file is commited to the vmdk file. and then deleted.

// Lars Liljeroth

-

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Total amount of space that a single snapshot "can" take is equivalent to the total amount of space of the VM (vmdk & *.vswp = delta.vmdk & *.vmsn). How quickly the snapshot will grow is dependent on the activity (I/O wise) of the VM.

The delta.vmdk will grow by 16MB increments (Recording all I/O operations that would normally go to base "flat.vmdk" when a snapshot was not in place) until such time as it is committed or it is equivalent in size to the base vmdk for which it is recording changes (Try not to let it get this large)

0 Kudos