VMware Cloud Community
crazyonerob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how can i start a vm that shut down by its self

hi im pertty new to virtualization and so far i am really likeing it. i jsut have one problem which is probly hardware related and that is i have about 15 virtual machines running on my server in my house and every once in a while one or more will jsut shutdown. every time i try to figure out why there is nothing in the logs or anything so i was woundering if there is a way for esx to detect when the vms or off and turn them back on. any help on this would be great thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShanVMLand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Try this theread: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/70530

Shan

If you find this post helpful, please award points using the Helpful/Correct buttons...Thanks

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShanVMLand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As you said, you are running 15 VMs on single host, it might be problem that host is overloaded and not having enough resources to server the VMs. Try to get the following logs:

/var/log/vmkernel

/var/log/vmkwarning

/var/log/vmware/hostd.log

then, VMs log files from the datastore location.

To restart the VMs on its own, you have to write some scripts. You can use VI PERL TOOLKIT

()

Shan

If you find this post helpful, please award points using the Helpful/Correct buttons...Thanks

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
ShanVMLand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Try this theread: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/70530

Shan

0 Kudos
crazyonerob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok thank you both. that will help alot.

0 Kudos