VMware Cloud Community
prezmer
Contributor
Contributor

graphics performance in guest OS

Hello,

I'm using esxi 3.5 U2, I have win2003 as guest OS. Host platform is based on tyan S3970 2 x AMD Opteron 2346 HE (2 x 4cores 1.8GHz), 16GB RAM, integrated VGA. When I connect using remote desktop to the server and then start my Delphi IDE, graphics performance is poor (for example form drawing is slow). The IDE is probably built on .NET libraries. The same software run on my notebook it draws much faster.

Guest OS has VMware tools installed (but not the version from U2 but U3, I was trying to use U3 but received PSOD with information about missing support for processor stepping; so it turned back to U2 firmware). Windows display settings seem to be ok (full hardware acceleration is set in Advanced Settings of display).

I'm using RDP with resolution 1920x1200 to have good working area.

Can I improve performance by adding "real" and "fast" graphics card? There's a problem with extension slot, I have only PCI, no AGP, PCI-ex slots. If not, is there any way to help gui applications? Maybe something faster than RDP?

best regards

Piotr Rezmer

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Adding another graphics will not improve your graphics performance - the graphics card will still be virtualized the same way - I am thinking you might be pushing the envelope of your screen resolution - how many vms are you running and what is the configuration of the VMs? Also is anything else running on your physical network that might be impacting the RDP traffic?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

You appear to have a slight misunderstanding about the virtual graphics card, as Weinstein has already stated, at that sort of resolutions you would be streeching hte limits. remember the guest only has a 4MB graphic's card. also RDP as a remote display protocol is not known for its stunning graphic performance.

you would suffer the exact same issue if you were running this on a phyical Terminal server. it would not matter if you had a high end graphics card in the server as there is not seperate GPU stream. if you require high end graphical performance from a virtualised environment I would investigate RGS from HP. since the latest version there is no longer a requirement for it to run on HP hardware. it is not perfect but it is better, that said it is not good for a bandwidth constrained environment.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I still can not get used to seeing those three squares next to your rank Icon Dave, how are you finding life at the hive :smileygrin:

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
prezmer
Contributor
Contributor

I made tests when only one VM was up and running, VM is configured with default settings, memory: 3.5 GB, CPU:4. I also tried to reduce CPU count to 1 (some other threads say it may help) but without significant changes. Network connection is 100MB, no significant traffic is present. think that communication channel is not a problem, because when I navigate in application menu from left to right, menus are displayed fast. That's why I fought that drawing forms is accelerated by vga card.

I have just updated VMware tools to recent one build-143129

best regards

Piotr Rezmer

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

It is fun - have not drunk enough of the kool aid so still finding myself thinking like a partner rather than part of the collective - :smileysilly:

0 Kudos