VMware Cloud Community
afrontera
Contributor
Contributor

esxi instalation fails. Loading module sata_nv

Hi all

im trying to install ESXi on a HP Compaq DX2450. My sata controller is an Nvidia Nforce430 (MCP61). When the installer runs fails saying "The installation operation.....blablabla". When a take a look on the log, i can see this:

'VmkCtl' warning. Loading module sata_nv failed. Exec of command /sbin/mvkload_mod /mod/sata_nv.o succeded, but returned with non-zero status. 1

Failed to load module 'sata_nv': Invalid argument.

Simple.map

10de:03e7 0000:0000 storage sata_nv

10de:03f6 0000:0000 storage sata_nv

10de:03f7 0000:0000 storage sata_nv

10de:045c 0000:0000 storage sata_nv

10de:045d 0000:0000 storage sata_nv

10de:045e 0000:0000 storage sata_nv

10de:045f 0000:0000 storage sata_nv

10de:0555 0000:0000 storage sata_nv

10de:07f8 0000:0000 storage sata_nv

pci.ids

037e MCP55 SATA Controller

037f MCP55 SATA Controller

03e7 MCP61 SATA Controller

03f6 MCP61 SATA Controller

03f7 MCP61 SATA Controller

045c MCP65 SATA Controller

045d MCP65 SATA Controller

045e MCP65 SATA Controller

045f MCP65 SATA Controller

0555 MCP67 SATA Controller

07f8 MCP73 SATA Controller

lspci outputs

-

00:07.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2)

00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)

-

00:07.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2)

Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 2a72

Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16

Memory at fe02d000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

I/O ports at fc00

Capabilities: Power Management version 2

Capabilities: Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask+ 64bit+ Queue=0/3 Enable-

Capabilities: HyperTransport: MSI Mapping

00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2) (prog-if 85 )

Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 2a72

Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19

I/O ports at 09f0

I/O ports at 0bf0

I/O ports at 0970

I/O ports at 0b70

I/O ports at f700

Memory at fe02c000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/2 Enable-

-

00:07.0 0680: 10de:03ef (rev a2)

Subsystem: 103c:2a72

Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17

Memory at fe02d000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

I/O ports at fc00

Capabilities: Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask+ 64bit+ Queue=0/3 Enable-

00:08.0 0101: 10de:03f6 (rev a2) (prog-if 85 )

Subsystem: 103c:2a72

Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18

I/O ports at 09f0

I/O ports at 0bf0

I/O ports at 0970

I/O ports at 0b70

I/O ports at f700

Memory at fe02c000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/2 Enable-

Any idea?

Thx

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Goodspd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

ESX doesn't support SATA controllers, altough some will work as you can search in the forum by yourself, there are lots of topics related to this matter, personally i've an ADAPTEC 2410SA that works with ESX/ESXi.

Regards,

Goodspeed

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
afrontera
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

thanks for the answer. I found a lot of info in this forum about how to install ESXi on MCP61 sata controller and i want to say thanks to all the forum people for the help. I read this info and finally, when all seems to be ok, i found this error when ESXi installation try to load this module. Thats the point. I read a lot of posts about install ESXi in this controller and all seems to be clear. But i found this problem and i want to now if anyone have this problem too I try to load the module manually whit verbose info; no more info was showed by the console. Im confused about this error. I hope anyone can help!

Thx.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have any BIOS options to change the mode of the controller?

0 Kudos
afrontera
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dave

the answer is no. I can not change the mode of the controller. This mobo only have Sata ports. The only choice i can do is try sata1 an sata2.

Thx

0 Kudos
wuxeon
Contributor
Contributor

hi,i have the same problem.my motherboard is MCP61 too.half year ago,someone can edit the simple.map file to support MCP61 in ESXi3.5u2,but it's fail in ESXi3.5u3.i think that vmware company had updated the ESXi3.5u3 kernel and prevent changes the simple.map to support more hardware on purpose.

and that edit the simple.map to support c61 network adapt is success,my MCP61's network code is 10de:03ef.

my msn:wuxeon@tom.com

0 Kudos
afrontera
Contributor
Contributor

hi wuxeon

are you saying that i have to install ESXi3.5u2 to run on MCP61?

Thx

0 Kudos
wuxeon
Contributor
Contributor

hi,my english is poor,i am so sorry. i am sucess now, the ESXi 3.5 u3's nforce-sata driver is no good,i found that, it can supported MCP61-sata after replaced the nforce-sata driver.and the nforce-nic driver is ok,can supported mcp61,mcp68 adapt and so on.

can you read chinese?i had writed a article to resolve this problem in techtarget.CHINA(TT中国),

http://club.techtarget.com.cn/editpost.aspx?topicid=888

and you can contact me ,my msn:wuxeon@tom.com ,email: wuxeon@tom.com.

afrontera
Contributor
Contributor

Hi wuxeon

i can not read chinese Smiley Sad . My english is poor too. I am from spain. I

can not see your post in techtarget. Probably i need to register in but do a register in chinesse languaje can be difficult . Can you send me a resume in english, or some screenshots, anything... better, can you send me the oem.tgz modified with correct module?

afrontera@brujula.es

Lots of thanks!

0 Kudos
wuxeon
Contributor
Contributor

ok.i found that your workstation is HP Compaq DX2450.did you intall the ESXi3.5u3 HP custom edition? and that i have installed is the standard edition,so the simple.map is not in oem.tgz, it is in binmod.tgz(path:binmod.tgz /etc/vmware/).and the driver is in binmod.tgz too.(path: binmod.tgz /mod/)

anyway,the file binmod.tgz must be packed in linux enviorment ,because the file permissions would be changed when packed in windows,thus it could not work .so i want to upload the binmod.tgz tomorrow.

i have updated some photos in the article:[http://club.techtarget.com.cn/showtopic-888.aspx]

but the bbs is not allow the attachment which is greater than 4 MB now,i have to upload it tomorrow until the administrator increase my space.

if i have upload the file binmod.tgz ,i will send message to you to download,and i would translate into english that the ways how to modify the drivers .

nice to meet you,you are my first spanish friend,good luck.

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you modify oem.tgz that will overwrite the files that are present to binmod.tgz. oem.tgz will also survive an ESXi version update while binmod.tgz will be replaced.

http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/customize_oem_tgz.php

I'd be interested to know what device IDs you've added support for.

0 Kudos
wuxeon
Contributor
Contributor

i had add the code like this :

Simple.map

10de:03f6 0000:0000 storage sata_nv

pci.ids:

03f6 MCP61 SATA Controller

and i replace the sata_nv.o driver which from Esxi 3.5 67929 edition,it can work ,but i don't know why the vi show unknow device in the storge device list........

the ide.o driver is still not working now,i don't know why,this is the remaining problem, but the PATA harddisk can work in my Nforce 570SLI chipset motherboard with Esxi 3.5u3.

0 Kudos
afrontera
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, my workstation is an HP Compaq DX2450. Also yes, i try to install ESXi3.5u3 HP custom edition. It fails. Im using Esxi 3.5 67929

I do the same modifications on oem.tgz without success. Same PCI ids i same modified files.

Wuxeon, you comment that you are using a different sata.nv.o module, if i understand correctly. Where did you get this?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I'd suggest starting with the Update 3 install CD and the generic one will be fine. The HP one has specifc IPMI drivers that won't have an impact on your desktop.

0 Kudos
wuxeon
Contributor
Contributor

thank you,moderator,now i know that how the ESXi load the drivers,we only need join the new driver into the oem.tgz,thank for your help,and i rebuild the oem.tgz now,i would upload the files over again.

could you tell me what is the kernel edtion of ESXi3.5u3 ?

the driver is released

i have join the Community Unified Driver Pack and the nforce c61 sata drivers ..

0 Kudos
afrontera
Contributor
Contributor

I use your oem.tgz and it works perfect on my HP Compaq DX2450. But now i have a question, where did you get this sata_nv module?

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
Mastyle
Contributor
Contributor

Can you tell me how did you get this to work on the dx2450

I'm a newb having big problems traing to get this to work

thank you

0 Kudos
wuxeon
Contributor
Contributor

i get the driver from older ESXi edition ,:)

0 Kudos
Mastyle
Contributor
Contributor

wuxeon

there is any way that I can get a copy of this file

thank you

0 Kudos
wuxeon
Contributor
Contributor

I have uploaded attachment in my previous answer ,the oem.tgz file,you can find it in the previous post.

0 Kudos