VMware Cloud Community
rosswakelin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

esx 3i U4-153875 and AMD Phenom 9650 - wont install

Hi everyone

I've just built a new white box, intended for virtualisation, utilising an AMD Phenom 9650 quad core, 8GB of memory and 2Tb of SATA disk. The motherboard is a Gigabyte MA78GPM-UD2H.

Unfortunately, the boot from CD process hangs just after the initialising vmkernel stage (about 10% through the progress bar).

It stops forever, and if I press the power button on the box I get an error report that moans about the process not getting a response from some of the cores.

Has anyone tried/succeeded in installing on this chip/motherboard combo. The Phenom/96xx series does not even appear on the HCL. I know the hardware is ok cos CentOS installs and runs fine.

Have I just bought something that is too new for the current 3i to support?

Thanks

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Update 2 was the last version that will work here. Anything higher will not install, or as I noticed, once it is installed at U2 and upgraded, it will no longer work.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Update 2 was the last version that will work here. Anything higher will not install, or as I noticed, once it is installed at U2 and upgraded, it will no longer work.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I actually installed CentOS, and ran workstation or server inside, and ran multiple esx configurations inside of it.

-KjB

VMware vExpert