VMware Cloud Community
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

difference between ESX and ESXi

I would like to know the difference between ESXi and ESX with respect to licensing and manageability with the vCenter. Are there any features that are not available in ESXi but available in ESX. Why did VMware introduce ESXi freely?

This query may have been addressed earlier, can someone point me to the thread?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

to add to what David said, you may want to look at this KB as well

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006543

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes this has been discussed in the past but I am too lazy to search for the thread so I will answer again

1. The major difference between ESX and ESXi is that ESX has something called the Service Console - this is in essence a RHEL based virtual machine that provides a method to control to control and manage the vmkernel, the hypervior providing the virtualization of the physical resources. In ESXi this functionality has been incorporated into the vmkernel. By doing this the need for a secondry operating system, and the associated patching. has been eliminated increasing the security ESXi. The down side is many software partners have written agents for the service console which are now being reworked to work with in ESXi. In the interim VMware released the Remote CLI which is a virtual appliance that provides ESXi a service console like functionality. Other than this ESXi and ESX both have the same functionality in regards to vmotion, DRS, HA and related VMware tools and add ons including managed by Virtual Center as king you have the licenses.

2. ESXi is given away free for two reasons - 1) our customers can experience datacenter class virtualization with out having to pay anything and 2) our competitors are also giving away their virtualization engine for free and are charging for service amd spport and to license for higher order functionality.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

to add to what David said, you may want to look at this KB as well

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006543

0 Kudos
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So to avail the Enterprise class features like VMotion and DRS etc. in ESXi, I have to buy VI Enterprise license!

Thanks for all that useful information Smiley Happy

0 Kudos