VMware Cloud Community
vmware_68
Contributor
Contributor

copy ESX files to vshpere 4

Hi-

I want to build a lab for a test project. I don't want to vmotion machines, all I want to do is the following:

Is it possible to turn off a VM - then copy those files from the VMFS folder to another ESX server and import them somehow?

I don't want to use converter to move things - the ESX host that will be the lab will be off the network but I need a copy of AD and our Certification Server. I'm trying to go through the process of building an SCCM virtual environment using our Active directory and PKI...and it would b easiest of I could simply copy the AD and Cert server to my laptop for example and then import that into the new ESX host.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you can use WinSCP. Why would you not want to use VMware Converter?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Is it possible to turn off a VM - then copy those files from the VMFS folder to another ESX server and import them somehow?

Yes but without converter it takes 3 steps. Right click datastore, click download files, select file of the VM (after it's turned off) and drop it a local disk. Then copy that VM folder (after copy is complete) and upload it to the new ESX host the same way.

Then go into that folder on the new ESX host and re-register the VM.

If you use converter it's one step, convert from / to ESX host done and VM Converter will register on the new server for you as an option.

0 Kudos
vmware_68
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you both for your responses -

I was thinking of trying to keep the ESX host off the network so converter wouldn't be an option. I suppose I could put it on the network just for the converter process and then take it offline before I power those machines up.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

If you have no network connectivity on the destination ESX Host, it's going to make "copying" things difficult.

0 Kudos
vmware_68
Contributor
Contributor

i was going to put it on an isolated network - and move things to it via a laptop.

I should have specified that - Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

ok, how bout this.... Use WinSCP to copy the files to your local desktop (or any desktop that has access to that private segment), the use the datastore upload feature.

You can also try to export the VM in question to a virtual appliance then import back in.

0 Kudos
vmware_68
Contributor
Contributor

does exporting leave a copy of the original machine on the ESX host it was exported from?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

does exporting leave a copy of the original machine on the ESX host it was exported from?

yes. You just have to do it while the VM is powered off.

0 Kudos
vmware_68
Contributor
Contributor

Hi -

I tried exporting a powered off machine from an ESX 3.5u1 server to a vSphere 4 server running in EVAL mode. Export got to 2% and no further, after 30 minutes I cancelled.

I then tried running P2V (version 3.03 build 89816) on the virtual machine attempting to p2v it to the vSphere 4 server. This also got only to 2% and no further, after 30 minutes I cancelled.

I looked for an upgraded p2v for vSphere, and found none. I really need to get this working today - what am I missing?

vSphere EVAL is a fully licensed product for 60 days, right? If needed I can put a host license on it, we are licensed for it but I didn't think we needed to do that.

also, this move is from one stand alone ESX server to another...i'm not using virtual center to try and move these machines.

thanks -

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

In order to P2V to vSphere4 you must use VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 4.0.1

As you said this is a private network and it may be the proper ports are not available.

0 Kudos
vmware_68
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Troy -

Presently these machines are all on the same LAN. I want to take two machines, copy them or p2v them for a copy and then take that ESX host offline for a lab setup.

there are no port restrictions presently. Doesn't stand alone require me to boot to vm converter?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

it's a GUI product that you install, same concept as 3.0.3, just a new release and support for vSphere destination.

You don't have vCenter correct? If so, that would make it very easy cause you could just clone to template, but.....

0 Kudos
vmware_68
Contributor
Contributor

I do have vcenter but the target ESX host is not connected to vCenter because it is vSphere 4 and I do not want to upgrade for this.

i'll try the new version - thanks.

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hi,

Veeam is your friend!

vExpert 2009

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
vmware_68
Contributor
Contributor

is there supposed to be a Progress report with the new vmconverter 4 standalone? All I see is a status of 'running' - no progress. How do I know it is working at all? It could be stuck at 2% again and I would never know it.

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hi,

Yes under normal conditions it does move, converter can be extreemly slow.

Have a look in the "..\all users\application data\vmware\vmware converter" folder. You will find some log files there which can indicate what's up.

vExpert 2009

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

In the lower half of the converter tool you should have a sumary tab and a progress tab. The progress tab should give you a good idea where you are in the process.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos