Jump to solution

connecting esxi 3.5 to IBM SAN

Hi guys

This is my current setup.

The blade hs21 has

1. 2 internal SAS HDD

2. Qlogic FC card

and all the other bits and piece.

I have installed esxi on it. Went perfectly with no issues. I want to now connect one of the Logic Drives on the SAN(IBM DS3000) to the esxi for it to use for storage.

Steps I have taken:-

1. From the Virtual client I have found the 2 HBA / mac addresses fot the Qlogic card from Config>Storage

2. I have pointed a Logical Drive to those two... so LD1 pointing to host esxi with the 2 HBA

3. Restarted esxi and it shows the cards but when I go to add storage no luck...doesnt find the LD.

This setup is for proof of concept and we are almost sold purchasing the full product for our enviorment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aben

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisMTL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When you control-Q on boot of the qlogic card can you see then lun in there as ID 0 ? Everything looks ok from the screen caps. Maybe the hard loop id is not set right on the qlogic card. (try a hard loop id of 125)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

welcome to the forums - were the drives formatted with any other file system or set up with any partition table?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
ChrisMTL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In storage manager do you see the WWN of the esxi machine ? Once you create a host group and assign the wwn of the host you want to that group and add the lun you want to use you should be able to rescan the HBA and it should be visible.

neop26
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Guys for your reply and taking the time to read ..

I hope the following screenshot can help answer the question...

0 Kudos
neop26
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Guys

Many thanks for your reply and taking time to read this thread.... I hope you can help me out...have attached some screen shots.

0 Kudos
ChrisMTL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When you control-Q on boot of the qlogic card can you see then lun in there as ID 0 ? Everything looks ok from the screen caps. Maybe the hard loop id is not set right on the qlogic card. (try a hard loop id of 125)

0 Kudos
neop26
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Chris,

I think I was the bad boy in this situation.

I am new to the infrastructure and the ex admin forgot to mention the position the blade was siting didnt have connection to the SAN !!!!

A simple SWAP of blade position got my esxi talking sweet to the SAN.

I am sorry for the mixup but thank you so much for taking the time and effort...!

Yep did the ctrl q and got in and checked everything all good.

0 Kudos