VMware Cloud Community
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert

configure machine to boot alternate bank on next boot

I wish to roll back from my esxi version 158874 build number to 3.5 u3.

I want to verify an issue appeared on build 158874, by booting the older version and seeing if the issue is still around.

how do I configure the machine to boot the alternate boot bank on the next boot?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

how do I configure the machine to boot the alternate boot bank on the next boot?

reinstall? There is no roll back for ESX.

Although you could boot from SAN, so you can have U3 and U4 san boots, and change the boot location, but its too late for that now.. that's the only way to do it...

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You can use ALT + R during start up.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

You can use ALT + R during start up.

Interesting... This isn't stated during the install there is a way to revert to previous install. Is this only on ESXi, and not ESX?

0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert

Can you configure it remotely to boot the alternate boot back on esxi?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know about ESX but ESXi has two possible boot partitions. Updates are applied to the alternate partition. Since there is no service console you don't have any way to fix things other than to boot to the one that was working prior to the update.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I don't remember what is in advanced configuration from the VIC configuration menu. It may be possible from the rcli. One reason to have IP KVM or a Serial console or onboard management network port.

vCloud9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Normally when you press I think SHIFT or ALT +R you would be displayed with 2 boot option under Hypervisor Recovery screen. If you dont see either option, I am afraid that your boot partition could be corrupt. If that is the case, you are left with only choice of reoloading the hypervisor.

-vCloud9

Please don't forget to award point for 'Correct' or 'Helpful', if you found the comment useful.
0 Kudos