VMware Cloud Community
xlcor
Contributor
Contributor

cannot V2V using standard process

Being new to VMWare, I installed an ESXi 3.5 instance on an HP workstation with the intention of evaluating the product. I created several new VM guest OS's without any issues, but I can't seem to perform a V2V migration. I have a production GSX 3 for Linux server (running on RHEL 4.5 ES) with a Windows 2003 server guest OS VM that I'd like to migrate to the new test ESXi server. I use the V2V migration tools in the Converter Standalone Client, but each time I attempt to negotiate the initial communication, I get that error message stating that the connection was refused by the remote host (the GSX 3 for Linux server). I've checked the KBs and every article that I've located that seems to best replicate my issue doesn't provide a resolution! They each list several steps through which I can proceed to verify that I am indeed experiencing the issues that I'm seeing... but no resolution!! As I'm trying to evaluate this product for a potential enterprise installation, and can't get it working properly, this does not bode well for the evaluation! Any advice from the VMWare veterans would be greatly appreciated...

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Try installing the Converter Standalone directly on the Windows Server and perform the conversion to the ESXi Server. I would make sure you have the latest 4 version of converter.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
paulkbeyer
Contributor
Contributor

Chap,

I always find the coldclone CD works a treat when everything else is giving me jib. Assuming you have access to that Converter CD image, boot the machine using that ISO and punch the details of your nearest VI host and you'll be fine.

Hope this helps

Paul.

0 Kudos
xlcor
Contributor
Contributor

DSTAVERT, there's got to be a better way... I don't want to have to install the Converter app on each server that I want to V2V migrate... or is this an argument for using the vCenter/vSphere suite?

0 Kudos
xlcor
Contributor
Contributor

paulkbeyer, your suggestion sounds intriguing (even if only because of your confidence in the solution!), but I don't understand it. I'm a noob to VMWare, and I'm not sure what the Coldclone CD is... are you suggesting that I boot the Windows 2003 guest OS server into the ISO on my Converter CD, and at that point I'll be prompted to connect to my VI client (or my new ESXi server?) and perform the V2V migration?

sorry for the confusion, and thanks in advance for the re-explanation... : )

0 Kudos
xlcor
Contributor
Contributor

any suggestions from the group at large? regarding issues with V2V migrations?

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

What are you selecting for your source and destination options?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

DSTAVERT, there's got to be a better way... I don't want to have to install the Converter app on each server that I want to V2V migrate... or is this an argument for using the vCenter/vSphere suite?

In the case of Windows when you run Converter it does a remote install of Converter minus the GUI. I suggested it as a method to try when there are issues. I re read your post and can't help wondering if you are trying to connect Converter to the GSX server rather than to the Windows Server. Make sure the source is the Windows Server and the destination as the ESXi server.

0 Kudos
xlcor
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried this several different ways, but most recently, my source is the Windows server that I'd like to migrate and the destination server is the ESXi server itself.

0 Kudos
xlcor
Contributor
Contributor

most of my problems are the recurrent error messages that I get when I try to assign the source for the migration. I enter either the domain\servername with root account credentials, or I've tried the FQDN with root credentials or IP address with root credentials, and none of them seem to work. all generate some error either indicating that I cannot connect to the remote system, or that the remote system has rejected my connection attempt or simply a general failure error message. None of the messages spawn enough information for me to really act on. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Don't waste time on this. Install directly to the Windows server and run your conversion.

If you want to "figure it out" rather than get the job done then you must provide details. You provide absolutely no details other than it doesn't work. Error messages, log files, version information for all the pieces server, converter, windows . . . .

0 Kudos