VMware Cloud Community
dlee_12
Contributor
Contributor

backup question

hi! I'm using a free version of esxi3.5. Currently, i;'ve a few VMs running on it (AD, and DHCP server). I'm trying to do a "manual" backup of those VMs. Will it work if i copy all the vmdk files (copy by the whole vm folders through winscp or VIC's storage datastore download) to an external drive and if the actual vm failed....i can just copy the backup files into the esx and power up the vm just like that?

will this work for a win2003 DC?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Copying the folder will work but you will need to shut down the VM first or do a snapshot of the disk(s) and copy the contents minus the snapshots. Have a look at ghettoVCB script (need to do a search)

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
dlee_12
Contributor
Contributor

hi! must i take a snapshot before copying? will it work if i do not take a snapshot? (i've the 1 old snapshot in there)....is this a trick that must be performed for it to work? Smiley Wink thanks.

Actually, my main concern is that will this work for an AD DC with all the AD roles in there? will the change(if there's any) of sid of the DC server affect the AD functions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Taking a snapshot releases the vmdk and allows it to be copied. If you have an old snapshot you use snapshot manager within the VI client and delete it. That will roll the changes that have been written to the snapshot back into the vmdk. Once the changes have been committed you can take a fresh snapshot, copy the vmdk and vmx files. Once you have made the copy delete the snapshot with the snapshot manager.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos