VMware Cloud Community
dmlash
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 2008 Server stays at very high CPU usage even when idle

I have installed Windows 2008 Server - 32-bit standard edition - on a VMware ESXi 3.5 system hosted on a dual CPU Dell 2650. I have 4 guests configured - 3 linux and this Win 2008. All other guests behave beautifully, but this one stays at 90% CPU utilization or higher all the time. It has 2 CPUs and 2 GB of RAM allocated. The physical machine has 2 dual-core CPUs and 12GB of RAM. Runs at about 25% memory utilization, but CPU is pegged most of the time, and naturally all operations are dog slow. Any suggestions?

One other note - the Server Manager application seems to be the big cpu hog, and it keeps running itself even though I've checked the box to not run at startup. Could be the culprit though even with it not running, CPU remains above 50% utilized all the time.

Thanks!

-David Lash

0 Kudos
4 Replies
YLui-at-Resolve
Contributor
Contributor

Win Server 2008 = Win Vista

I had the same problem. the installation of 2008 / Vista is an agony, until you can install the VMware drivers & tools.

enable / allow Terminal Services as soon as you get a chance, it makes it little bit less painful to navigate the menu options.

once you finally can properly open/close menu & options proceed to run services.msc and task manager

in services disable, or set to manual all the non required services

check in task manager which process or processes are consuming the most cpu usage, and repeat the previous step.

set windows update to manual, that is usually one of the major frequent cause, as well as the windows firewall, and bit defender

technically speaking in the server, you don't need any of those, it's supposed to be locked down and secured, no one except admins are supposed to have run application permission in the server.

-

Edit: oh i forgot to mention also go to Windows Task Scheduler, and disable the unnecessary scheduled task, like the build in Defrag, or reschedule it to another time you know, and expect it to run without affecting the other VM machines on the same physical server

if all that fails, there's probably some sort of root kit (SPYWARE) that has already infected your system, else all legit applications & services will show up in Task Manager.

0 Kudos
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

Win 2008 almost = Vista, if to be shore.

What about VmTools? Installed?

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You don't have a lot of processor resources. I don't remember if 2008 will run with a single but I would give that a try. What is running on teh 2008 server?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Install the VMTools,

You can use perfmon . .you'll see new counters have been added: VM CPU and VM Memory.

It is worth reading up on how Windows 2008 uses resource . . it operates very differently to 2003.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos