VMware Cloud Community
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 2008 64-bit VM Hangs Unexpectedly at Random Times

We have an ESX 3.5i host running on a Dell PowerEdge 2950 -

Currently it hosts 4 VMs - 2 of which are running Windows 2008 64-bit edition. One is a Windows Domain Controller and the other is a Member Server running Exchange 2007.

Earlier this week, the DC became unresponsive, and the only solution was a reboot. The console was frozen.

The Windows Application and System logs record that the server was restarted - but that is all. VMware Event Logs just show that the VM was powered down and then back up (which works).

This has happened a couple times in the past 6 months, does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? The Virtual Hardware is set correctly with the right OS type.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
AStolt
Contributor
Contributor

I had an issue with a 08 Standard Server 64bit that it would appear to be slow to respond or not at all, it would even do random disconnects when connecting via RDP.

Sometimes it would even look as if it has hung I could still connect to the shares on the server and it would still talk on the network. What fixed that issue for me was disabling IPv4 Large Send Offload.

The option was located under the Advanced Tab of Local Area Connection Properties.

I am not sure if this is even close to helping you with your issue, I just put it up for something to try.

Are all 4 VMs running at the same time, Or normally just 2 or 3.

Cheers

Aaron

Message was edited by: AStolt

0 Kudos
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Aaron –

Thanks for the reply.

This sounds like something that I’d be willing to try – can you give me some more information on the solution however? Was this from a MS KB Article, or another source out on the web?

0 Kudos
dtracey
Expert
Expert

Hi Sven,

Do you notice particularly high memory usage with this 2008 guest when it becomes unresponsive?

There is a new feature in 2008 called Microsoft Windows Dynamic Cache Service - which may or may not be the culprit:

http://blogs.technet.com/mikelag/archive/2009/02/09/new-windows-dynamic-cache-service-for-64-bit-win...

Probably worth a look...

Dan

0 Kudos
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When it happens - it is reported to me that the VM Console is unresponsive, and RDP is unavailable. There's probably a way that I could have the customer use RPC to attach; i.e. MMC from another Windows Host and see if Task Manager is available that way... what do you think

0 Kudos
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When the VM becomes unresponsive. the Virtual Machine Console is unavailable, and RDP doesn't seem to listen either. I'll bet I could have the customer try and make a RPC connection however, via MMC from another Windows Server on the Domain.

0 Kudos
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When the VM becomes unresponsive. the Virtual Machine Console is

unavailable, and RDP doesn't seem to listen either. I'll bet I could

have the customer try and make a RPC connection however, via MMC from

another Windows Server on the Domain.

0 Kudos
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When the VM becomes unresponsive, the Virtual Machine Console is unavailable, and RDP doesn't seem to listen either. I'll bet I could have the customer try and make a RPC connection however, via MMC from another Windows Server on the Domain. Maybe he could get at Task Manager that way.

Sven

Please think ‘green’ before you print this email.

NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission may contain confidential information and is intended only for the person(s) named. Any use, copying or disclosure by any other person is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender via e-mail.

0 Kudos
dtracey
Expert
Expert

I'd have a look at the VM through virtual center when it hangs and see exactly what VMware thinks it's doing 'hardware' wise. If it's not doing anything weird (normal CPU and memory usage) then it's probably an OS thing rather than a VM thing!

Let us know though... You could also post the event logs...

Dan

0 Kudos
AStolt
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
AStolt
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
AStolt
Contributor
Contributor

I was looking for a while for the information than came across the following site, I'll admit it was someone else's fix not my own.

As I said in the post, Not sure if this is even close to the issue you are having, Though it kind of sounds the same problem I had with a Guest 08 Server.

0 Kudos
AStolt
Contributor
Contributor

Apologies, For some reason, My post hit 4 times.

0 Kudos
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is still happenning - and to more than one customer with Windows 2008 on ESX 3.5i. We are going to try upgrading to ESX4i.

0 Kudos
ximbiot
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing this on VMWare Server 2.0.2.

0 Kudos
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This has been solved - it was caused by the Anti-Virus client.

0 Kudos
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This has been solved - it was caused by the Anti-Virus client - Sunbelt Vipre.

0 Kudos
ximbiot
Contributor
Contributor

My workaround was to move to 2008 64 bit (as in, not R2). I didn't have anti-virus software installed, so unless you are talking about something that came with the OS, that wasn't my problem.

Even though the hang was inevitable and didn't always happen at the same time, I could reproduce it consistently by opening MS Studio and copy & pasting the contents of a large HTML file into an empty document, which made me think it was memory or disk-IO related (triggered by virtual memory swapping). One of my coworkers mentioned that he thought there was a disk-IO incompatibility between R2 and VMWare, but I never verified that. I ran out of time and rolling back to Server 2008 (R1) resolved the issue for me.

Derek

0 Kudos
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the update Derek.

Since we upgraded the Sunbelt AV on the problematic host(s), we have not had a repeat occurance of this. We have also been virtualizing Windows 2008 R2 without any issue.

0 Kudos
PerryWhittle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know this thread is a little old, but I too had issues recently with Windows 2008 R2 VM's on ESX4i.

The VM's would lock up and freeze when doing anything! Checked VCenter and it was CPU pressure causing the issue. Adjusted the VM CPU count from 1 to 2 and no more issues encountered

Please rememeber to award points if you found this helpful or correct

Please rememeber to award points if you found this helpful or correct
0 Kudos