VMware Cloud Community
nanonuke
Contributor
Contributor

Window XP Pro Keyboard & Mouse extremely slow during install and after Install

Config : ASUS 680i MB with Adaptec SCSI and an LVD Drive with 4GB RAM & Core2Extreme 3.0GHZ Quad Core CPU + 3Com old Nic

I installed ESXi without any config changes and the install was fine and assigned a static address and was able to download the VI Client and manage the server.

Started Installing XP-Pro with LSI Controller since the other option did not work for me. The install is fine until the graphics part and when XP comes for Input from the Keyboard and Mouse, They take forever to respond.Infact it is so slow that I need to move little and it takes almost 1-2 mins to go to the next place on the screen. I read several things on the forum like setting dedicated CPU speed,memory,storage etc. and nothing worked including the disabling the power option. Also I checked for any performance issues on the VM and could not spot anything since XP is not even using 5% of the resources. This is the first VM I'm installing so there are no other VM's conflicting with the resources

Any ideas why this could be happening ?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Sanjana
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you have vmware-tools installed in the VM?

0 Kudos
nanonuke
Contributor
Contributor

The first install had vmtools but still did not make a diff and now I'm doing a fresh install now and currently t the graphic screen where it is extremely slow

0 Kudos
Sanjana
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

OK. Once the install is done, make sure you have the latest version of vmware-tools installed and running. Also remove any cpu affinitty settings that you might have set.

0 Kudos
nanonuke
Contributor
Contributor

Just finished the install but I still have the same problem. Just to click Start button and select shutdown. It takes me more than 10 mins

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

How much memory does the VM have? Is anything else running? What sort of output do you have if you run esxtop at the console?

0 Kudos
nanonuke
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to mention the check box No Affinity has been checked

0 Kudos
nanonuke
Contributor
Contributor

The system has 4GB total and it is running only ESXi and this XP VM and the XP VM has a min memory limit set to 512MB and max has been left free

0 Kudos
nanonuke
Contributor
Contributor

I have esxtop running and at the top i have idle %USED=399.14 %RUN=396.39 rest at 0 and used total is 0.24. Anything specific I should be looking for ?

0 Kudos
francois_tiers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

what is your hdd ? local, nas ,san ?

0 Kudos
nanonuke
Contributor
Contributor

Local SCSI and I have 2 other internal SATA drives which are unused but not sure if I can use these.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

That looks fine. Do you see the same problem with another OS? Have you disabled any unnecessary hardware in the BIOS?

0 Kudos
francois_tiers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you can have a problem on you I/O of your Local SCSI drive.

0 Kudos
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert

I would suggest to login to VI client and look at performance graphs there. It is a quick view but can find problems very fast. Be suspicious on any graphs having flat tops (they usually indicate something wants to go faster but cannot).

Visit my blog at http://erikzandboer.wordpress.com

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com
0 Kudos
takeshi99
Contributor
Contributor

Are you accessing the Console via Internet connection (not LAN)? If yes, you need to readjust your XP graphic to Windows Classic Theme. Then it sud be fine. Limitation on XP Pro.

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

How many vCPUs have you assigned to the XP guest?

0 Kudos