VMware Cloud Community
someVMuser
Contributor
Contributor

Will a Fujitsu Intel Pro/1000 GT work with ESXi?

Hi,

I just gave up trying to get my onboard Intel 82566DM NIC to work, and consider getting an Intel Pro/1000 GT (which should work according to vm-help.com).

Our vendor offers me a Fujitsu Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter (OEM number: S26361-F3142-L201). Is this technically the same chip/card? And will it work with ESXi?

Google didn't help me here, but you can find more links to the card by googling the OEM number.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

You probably need to check the PCI ID for this card, if you can find that in the specifications anywhere, and see if it matches one listed out on vm-help.com. I'd say chances are pretty good that it will work, but it's hard to say for sure unless someone else has tried it already. It'd be best to find a card that's a straight Intel without the FUjitsu OEM...

0 Kudos
someVMuser
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that reply, though I don't know if I can find the card's PCI info somewhere without buying it first.

Are there any other (not too expensive) Gigabit Ethernet PCI cards that would work, besides this Intel?

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

May be listed on the Mfg web site - on Fujitsu's site somewhere.

You should be able to dig up some relatively inexpensive GigE network controllers, though if you're using this system for production I'd avoid going the cheapest route and I'd buy something actually on the HCL. Check out NewEgg.com - go to the Network -> Wired Networking -> Network Interface Cards section, select Intel as the manufacturer and 10/100/1000 for speed. You can also narrow it down to PCI, PCI-X, or PCI Express. Looks like there are some decently affordable cards out there...

someVMuser
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, didn't give more info.

This won't be a production system, but rather a cheap development system for testing various software in separate VMs.

VMware Server would be an alternative, but I wanted to try ESXi, and if it would only cost a little to get a new NIC for getting it to work, then I'd prefer ESXi.

I'll try to see if I can find out more about the Fujitsu card, as our vendor probably can't offer me a card directly from Intel.

Still, if someone knows other good cards, or has used this card successfully, please let me know.

0 Kudos