VMware Cloud Community
Samuellcw
Contributor
Contributor

Which tool to use for managing ESXi?

I am new to the ESXi, and don't know much about it.

I have installed the ESXi with DL380G5, it works fine and when I connect to the http://x.x.x.x

and I follow the onscreen note to download the VMware Infrastructure Client, it seems to be a great tool. However, it shows a 60-day evaluation. Does it mean the VMware Infrastructure Client need to be bought after 60 days in order to manage even a single ESXi? If so, how much does it cost?

Thank you for your reply!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. The VI client is entirely free. Your ESXi host will by default be in a 60 day eval mode, but you can change that by going to Configuration \ Licensed Features and adding the serial number you should have gotten when you signed up for a free ESXi license.

0 Kudos
Samuellcw
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for your response.

One more thing that I want to clarify, in the VI console, I can import virtual appliance, which is of file extension .ovf

However, how can I import an virtual machine under Virtual server 1.x?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Take a look at VMware Converter. It's a free tool and available on VMware.com.

0 Kudos
Samuellcw
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, it sounds perfect!

I learn from the compatiability from the ESXi table that only a list of servers are capable of installing ESXi.

Is it no way to install it in PC like HP dc5800? even it got plenty of ram and powerful CPU?

0 Kudos
R-Sommer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can check the official HCL, the unofficial HCL or simply try it. I have ESXi running on a HP dc7600 with no problems.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos