VMware Cloud Community
jriker1
Contributor
Contributor

Which of these NIC's?

I picked up a system to build my ESXi 3.5 environment in and wouldn't you know that even though the network card was listed (824xx Intel based) it wouldn't detect it and if I modified the system to support the PCI ID of the card it would load the drivers but give me an error 1 and exit the card identification. Below are three cards I'm looking at. I know the first one is supported by reading this forum, however the last one is low profile and my system requires that or to remove the backplane completely and let the card run free which isn't a good idea.

PWLA8391GT

PWLA8390T

PWLA8391GTLBLK

I would put links to these products in here however this form won't let me cut and paste and the URL's are hela long.

Thanks for your input.

JR

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The ultimate spot to check is VMware's HCL -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
jriker1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply however I have found that page less than helpful. Unless I'm doing something wrong. I think that page searches based on chipset and not physical cards and I have found per my personal experience in this thread, that different cards, based on the same chipset, may or may not work. Looking here to see if anyone has personally had success with certain cards more than what VMWare says is officially supported.

Thanks.

JR

0 Kudos
jriker1
Contributor
Contributor

By the way, I may have found the Intel Motherload!!!! I found the below page that lists a bunch of Intel's physical network cards and includes the PID values so you can look them up on the simple.map file to see if they are listed or not .

JR

0 Kudos