VMware Cloud Community
RegNullify
Contributor
Contributor

Which USB thumb drive is the best to purchase for ESX3i?

Greetings fellow VMware gurus,

Recently had a production issue with a system using ESX3i. As it turns out my problem was the thumb drive. It just died while in production. I tried to reboot the system not knowing what the problem was and it would not boot. I don't know what errors came up it just all looked like klingon poetry to me. So that is where I came to the conclusion that I needed to wipe and reload the USB Drive. Luckily before standing up the system I created an image of the USB drive and stored it for future use. The system is an HP DL385 G5 with the USB header on the motherboard so I am not worried about someone perhaps bumping or unplugging the drive. When I tried to load my image on the drive it kept failing. I wiped the drive entirely and formatted it in Windows and it only had a capacity of about 936 MB and it is supposed to be a 2GB drive. In addition i could not copy data to the drive.

I grabbed a spare thumb drive and pushed the image I created back to the drive, plugged it in and everything was good. It just needed to be patched. It seems to me that this is the a single point of failure. So until HP , Dell or whoever comes up with a way to use RAID and mirror two thumb drives it would be a wise idea to have a few spare thumb drives around and ready for use.

What make and model would you suggest and why? Thank you all I will be looking forward to your response.

-Jason a.k.a. RegNullify

A+, N+, CNA, CNE, MCP, MCSA, VCP310, VCP410, VCI <------ Long time dedicated IT Professional specializing in U.S. Federal Government implementations.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
KellyOlivier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I bought 4 kingston datatravelers as recommend from another thread. They work great. 6 bucks a piece from newegg. BTW, one of my servers has a blinking thumb drive a lot more than the other one. I have been wondering if it is gonna fail sometime too;-)

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your discussion has been moved to the ESXi forum

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

If you're using an HP supplied drive HP did ship some defective USB drives - I beleive they had a green metal jacket. In the lab I use a Kingston and another generic drive and both have been running Ok for some time. Make sure what you get is USB 2.0 certified and you'll only need a 1 GB drive.

RegNullify
Contributor
Contributor

Dave,

Yes it is a green metal jacketed HP 2gb thumb drive. So far it looks like Kingston is the best bet. I will continue my research. Right now I am running ESX3i on the freebie Kingston drive that was handed out at VMworld 2007 S.F. when ESX3I was beta. So far it workes perfectly.

Thanks for all of your support.

-Jason

A+, N+, CNA, CNE, MCP, MCSA, VCP310, VCP410, VCI <------ Long time dedicated IT Professional specializing in U.S. Federal Government implementations.
0 Kudos