VMware Cloud Community
dwchan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Which MIB to use

My network team is trying to monitor the our HP DL380 G5 VM Host for hardware failure and maybe even some performance metric with their OpenView. I find the big MIB file download for HP, but which of the hundred MIB files am I suppose to give to the netowrk guys?

dwc

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ShanVMLand
Expert
Expert

You need the following MIB files.You can get them from /usr/lib/vmware/snmp/mibs on ESX server

In Virtual Center "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\MIBS"

Refer the Basic Administration Guide on Page 83. (copied table down)

MIB File Description

VMWARE-ROOT-MIB.mib Contains VMware’s enterprise OID and top level OID assignments.

VMWARE-ENV-MIB.mib Defines variables and trap types used to report hardware environment status. (ESX Server 3i hosts only)

VMWARE-PRODUCTS-MIB.mib Defines OIDs to uniquely identify each SNMP agent on each VMware platform.

VMWARE-RESOURCES-MIB.mib Defines variables used to report information on resource usage of the VMkernel, including memory, CPU, and disk utilization.

VMWARE-SYTEM-MIB.mib The VMWARE-SYSTEM-MIB.mib file is obsolete. Use the SNMPv2‐MIB to obtain information from sysDescr.0 and sysObjecID.0.

VMWARE-TC-MIB.mib Defines common textual conventions used by VMware MIB files.

VMWARE-TRAPS-MIB.mib Defines virtual machine power‐related traps sent by ESX Server and traps sent by VirtualCenter.

VMWARE-VMINFO-MIB.mib Defines variables for reporting information about virtual machines.

VMWARE-VMKERNEL-MIB.mib Defines variables for VMKernel

Shan

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
dwchan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How about for the HP DL 380 G5 physical server itself?

dwc

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi only supports traps. If you have the HP version of ESXi installed it has CIM agents that can be monitored with HP SIM or have a look at Veeam Monitor.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
George_Yu
Contributor
Contributor

I want to use Hostmoniter to moniter host's CUP, Mem, and iSCSI storage. Now, Hostmoniter can moniter snamp trat form the host. How to use MIB ot do so? I mean I don't know how to install the MIB on host or which folder can it be copied into on the host.

much thank in advance.

george

0 Kudos