VMware Cloud Community
dpatel99
Contributor
Contributor

Where is Esx Server Console

I have 2 ESX Servers one running ver 3.5.0 and the other running 3i 3.5.0. On the 3.5.0, I can press Alt-F1 to get to the console, but on the 3i the screen shows F2 Customize System and F12 to shutdown. How do I get to the console on the 3i system

Thanks,

D

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

One of the most significant differences between ESX 3.x and ESXi 3.x is that the i version has no console. You have to use a remote CLI interface.

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It's not supported, but you can access the console by following the instructions here:

http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/vmware-esx-articles/general/how-to-access-the-...

0 Kudos
aldin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

maybe this can help

Remote CLI

VMware ESX Service Console CLI has been ported to a Remote CLI (RCLI) for VMware ESXi. RCLI is a virtual appliance that interacts with VMware ESXi hosts to enable host configuration through scripts or specific commands.

Note: RCLI is limited to read-only access for the free version of VMware ESXi. To enable full functionality of RCLI on a VMware ESXi host, the host must be licensed with VI Foundation, VI Standard, or VI Enterprise.

The following Service Console CLI commands have not been implemented in RCLI:

• ESXcfg-info

• ESXcfg-resgrp

• ESXcfg-swiscsi

i did not try this RCLI, but it looks like it colud help you.

0 Kudos