VMware Cloud Community
JasonJoel
Contributor
Contributor

Where can I get the VMWARE-ENV-MIB.mib ?

I wanted to try and setup some SNMP traps on my ESXi server. I am fairly sure I need the VMWARE-ENV-MIB.mib to import into my SNMP management program.

However, I don't know where to get that MIB.

Can someone point me in the right direction??

Jason

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
fejf
Expert
Expert

Have you tried the MIBs which are included in the Virtual Center installation: c:\program files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\MIBS\VMWARE-TRAPS-MIB.mib ?

--

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.

-- There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.
0 Kudos
JasonJoel
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, ok. As I don't have Virtual Center installed, no. I'll install the eval copy of it and see if I can get the MIB from there.

Thanks!

Jason

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

There isn't a MIB on the ESXi install (at least I couldn't find one) as there is with an ESX install. Are you aware that ESXi only supports snmp traps (and not gets) at this point?

0 Kudos
JasonJoel
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, unfortunately. Would love it if it supported GETS, but I think I can live with just traps.

Thanks all. I'm installing VC now, so assuming the MIB is in there I should be in good shape in a few minutes.

Jason

0 Kudos
JasonJoel
Contributor
Contributor

Bah. Looks like I marked this answered too soon.... On an install of the eval version of VC 2.5 you only get TWO MIBs: TRAP and ROOT.

Is there any other way to get the required MIB, without having to go and install ESX on a machine to get it????

Jason

0 Kudos
fejf
Expert
Expert

It's also possible to extract the mibs from a esx (non-esx3i) iso file. They are inside the :\VMware\RPMS\VMware-esx-srvrmgmt-3.5.0-110268.i386.rpm or on an installed esx server in /usr/lib/vmware/snmp/mibs/

--

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.

-- There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.
0 Kudos
JMills
Expert
Expert

I don't recall whether or not the MIB bundle was published in standalone form yet or not, but you can ping me directly (my user id at VMW) and I'll get a copy of it to you.

0 Kudos
vduvernet
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

justa bit of necro-posting :

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101344...

++

Vincent

-

Nolmë Informatique

Vincent Duvernet

certifié Kaspersky Lab, Netgear

certifié VMWare VSP, Cisco Select SMB

0 Kudos