VMware Cloud Community
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor

What is THIS with ESXi?

Have you tried to press ALT+F12 at the startscreen? What is it we see? Smiley Happy

btw .. Today I installed a new site. Brand new hosts and virtualized and removed physical servers. In less than a day. ESX(i) is truly a magical piece of software.

/Henrik

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Henrik, is there something specific that you see? You can also enter ALT-F1 to get the console. Then type in "unsupported" and hit enter to access the console.

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi has several different consoles available that give you different information about the host. As Dave mentioned, Alt-F1 gives you a console that you can log into. Alt-F2 is the configuration screen. A couple of other ones are active, too, and give information on the startup of ESXi and can help in solving problems you having with ESXi booting.

0 Kudos
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I'd say.. Smiley Happy Try ALT+F12 sometime, there is a LOT of densly packed info there.. No problems, I just found out the combination today at a customer. We laughed outright at the "jibberish" that strikes you, but I guess the info could be handy when you have trouble with the host.

/Henrik

0 Kudos
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, and its a VERY good thing its there. The single most important thing that kept my customer from going to ESXi was the lack of the "kill" command we have used sometimes in the SC in the old architecture. In that busybox OS, its there!

/Henrik

0 Kudos
wpatton
Expert
Expert

Alt+F12 is a fantastic troubleshooting option when you need VMKernel info quickly.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos